Menu

CW Diogenes 13yo 7th grade...opinions please

This is week 4 final draft.....I'd like to know if those of you experienced with CW feel she's on the right track. She and I knock heads a lot with her writing, so I'm kind of throwing my hands up here and bringing it to the hive. I'm not saying there's something wrong with this rewrite. I'm just trying to take myself out of the loop on this one and give her some objective feedback.

Thank you!

The Dog and His Shadow

'Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow'.

What could the wise man Aesop have been thinking when he came up with this maxim? Surely it would've taken a long time for someone to come up with a phrase like this! This just shows us how wise and honorable Aesop is, and why we should listen to what he has said.

For example, once there was a dog who found a piece of tender, fresh meat while scavenging. He wanted to take it to where he was staying to eat it in peace...But alas! On his way home he would have to cross a plank lying across a running brook. As this dog crossed, he glanced down at the water and saw his reflection; thinking it was another dog with another piece of meat, he tried to snatch it. As he did so, his own piece of meat (the one that was real) fell into the water and was never seen again.

This story really inspired me to think about what the maxim meant. It could mean many things, but once again, it basically means to think before going for something that is an illusion. If you really pond3er over it, you will come to realize what Aesop meant when he came up with this maxim and story.