Menu

High School Astronomy

My son would like to take astronomy next year. He will be a 9th grader. We have Understanding the Universe from the Great Courses, and we plan to buy The Cosmos textbook to go along with it. This does not feel like quite enough for a full credit to me. Has anyone done astronomy with a high schooler? What resources did you use? How did you handle labs? I have some ideas of some directions we could head, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if some here has done something they just loved and would be willing to share what it was.

Thanks!

My son would like to take astronomy next year. He will be a 9th grader. We have Understanding the Universe from the Great Courses, and we plan to buy The Cosmos textbook to go along with it. This does not feel like quite enough for a full credit to me. Has anyone done astronomy with a high schooler? What resources did you use? How did you handle labs? I have some ideas of some directions we could head, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if some here has done something they just loved and would be willing to share what it was.

Thanks!

Does your area have a local astronomy club? Usually they are welcoming to youth members.

My BIL got his start in astronomy going to monthly club meetings and is now a PhD in Astrophysics.

This year we are using Signs and Seasons for astronomy. The text is not my favorite, and I do not like the tests, but I do like the labs. So, if you are only looking for labs, you can maybe use just that portion?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Does your area have a local astronomy club? Usually they are welcoming to youth members.

My BIL got his start in astronomy going to monthly club meetings and is now a PhD in Astrophysics.

They do--good idea! The website said they host a monthly "build your own telescope" workshop. These people grind their own lenses in some guy's garage and everything--wow. Dh went all misty-eyed and drooly when I asked if he'd be willing to support ds in that effort--I'm guessing that's a yes. :D