Menu

Skip Spelling?

Mrs.Shawn

I just pulled my son and daughter from public school and began homeschooling. They are both good spellers and so I bought Spelling Power as our spelling curriculum. My 7 yr old tested at grade level 6.0 (Level E) and my 9 yr old son tested at grade level 9.4 (Level I). My question is, considering their current levels, should I skip spelling altogether in favor of a vocab program for one or both of them?

We used Spelling Power the first year we homeschooled. The following year I put my son, in 2nd grade at the time, into Spelling Workout. It provided a lot of skills I wasn't providing, at least not reliably:synonyms and antonyms, cross-word puzzles and word searches, editing marks, and it helped with his cursive reading. He's doing E this year, and while he usually only misses about 1 work on the oral prequiz, we continue with it for the other reasons. He's not a confident speller either...always asking me to spell for him even though he's really good at spelling so I figure it's good for him.

With ds11 who had gone through 2nd grade in public school I didn't bother. By 5th grade we've just started testing spelling on his vocab words. He's a strong speller AND confident.