Menu

Toyota Prius battery replacement cost?

Does anyone factor this into a decision about buying one? We are looking at 2008 used Prius with low miles. The battery is warrantied to 100,000 miles. Our other vehicle is a huge wheelchair van with about 15 mpg. Seriously. And my husband has a 40 min. commute in his car - we are dying with gas prices.

My sister emailed us not to sell our car bc she had two friends that payed $8000 to replace their Prius batteries. That definately sounds urban mythish to me. Everything we have read online says the batteries are covered until 100,000 miles and then you can even get a refurbished one put it. About $2000 - but would only have to do it once at most. Anyone know?

I would just call a dealer and ask what is the price of a new battery including labor. Call a used parts place and ask them also.

If you can't get a refurbished battery, then you would have to buy a new one, so don't count on a used one. What if the used one fails?

Edited by LMA

I would just call a dealer and ask what is the price of a new battery including labor. Call a used parts place and ask them also.

If you can't get a refurbished battery, then you would have to buy a new one, so don't count on a used one. What if the used one fails?

:iagree:

My folks had issues with their 02 Civic Hybrid and the battery. I think its replacement ran about 3k. I think it was part of a recall as well... but battery replacement on the hybrids is significant.

They still love the hybrids though... the Civic is still going and about the time of the battery issue, they bought a Prius.