Menu

AAR Level 1 and Blending

SnMomof7

We are coming to the end of AAR Pre-1 and we've really enjoyed it. My almost 6-yo isn't REALLY blending yet, though she has made GREAT strides in phonological awareness using the Pre-1 program.

When I taught DD 1 (now 8) to read, blending was always tricky, and we went through quite a few programs while we waited for blending to kick in on its own (basically) and it was all easy (well - relatively) after that.

So, folks who've gone through AAR Level 1 - how is blending taught? Is it really seamless and painless for kids? Did it really help to teach blending?

We have the A Beka reading materials I used with DD #1 (A Handbook for Reading and the leveled readers) - but those aren't so great unless your kid knows how to blend ;), but we do love everything AALP produces (AAS & AAR) so I'd *LIKE* to buy AAR Level 1.

I hope I'm not rambling. :lol:

So, AAR Level 1 folks - how is it going in the blending department?

Blending is taught by using the tiles in AAR 1. You are told to move across the tiles and speed up (basically Pre-Level 1 but using tiles :)) and have the child put the sounds together to show how you blend. Then you do a word switch with tiles to show that the final sound sat-mat-rat-cat, etc. stays the same.

I'm not sure I'm much help, because I think I'm using AAR with the wrong child. I'm actually considering returning it because as fun as it is, it moves way too slowly for ds 2, and I didn't realize that reading the stories from the readers counts as a "lesson" so there are really only something like 25 phonics lessons we would use. Ugh, I don't know what to do either.