Menu

Need help finalizing!

I have finally narrowed my LA choices down. I got FLL for my 2nd grader and love it, also got WWE and like it for that grade but wouldn't want my children to use it all the way through school. So here is what I am looking at.

4th grader (loves creative writing)

BJU 4th

OR

FLL 4 and a writing program

2nd grader (has been doing copywork for a yr now)

FLL 2 and WWE 2 for this year only then drop WWE for another program in 3rd.

I really just need help to decide plan A or B for the 4th grader. I like BJU for the reason that it teaches writing so incrementally but I'm only moderately impressed with the grammar in it. I would like a strong writing program mthat includes creatives writing as well other aspects.

Here is our total workload for next year

Both Kids

HOD Bigger

4TH Grader

Horizons math 4

Spelling Power

and either BJU 4 or other.

2ND Grader

Horizons math 2

FLL 2 & WWE2(maybe)

Cheerful cursive

I'm going to use WWE4 and Writing Strands 4 with my ds next year. And I'm using Easy Grammar 4 with him as well.

That's my bare bones LA plan for the writing/grammar aspect. I recently got Editor in Chief and will implement that somehow. And I use Sequential Spelling and HWT cursive.

I think people either really like or really hate Writing Strands---I'm riding the fence, but I like that it's somewhat independent. I hope to do WWE together and have WS be on his own with check-ins from Mom.

I like the idea of adding creative writing to WWE. That is the only thing about WWE I don't like is that there is no creative writing. I understand the concept behind this but I don't think it is the right concept or learning style for ALL kids. What level WS are you going to use? We tried 3 this year but I needed more guidance.

I like the idea of adding creative writing to WWE. That is the only thing about WWE I don't like is that there is no creative writing. I understand the concept behind this but I don't think it is the right concept or learning style for ALL kids. What level WS are you going to use? We tried 3 this year but I needed more guidance.

I agree---especially since my ds is creative. I'm going to have him in WS4. I have a love/hate with Writing Strands. I think it could use a bit more depth to it---we put it away for a long time this year---

I've looked at other writing programs---Winning With Writing, Classical Writing, various Evan-Moor books.... just not liking or finding anything else out there that grabs my attention.

But for sure I 've decided that WWE would not be enough by itself.