Menu

Math for a K'er

Jzsnow

So let me start by saying I HATE saxon! HATE IT! I did it my 7 year old and we both hated it. He's doing teaching textbooks now and is doing great! However, my dd5 is to young for that.

I've looked at MUS and I must be totally stupid because it makes NO sense to me at all! Seems like it makes math far more complicated.

Any other suggestions? My dd is very dingy. Very social, athletic, sweet...but so very dingy! I think she will do best with as much hands on as possible to help her understand the concepts. She'll likely excel in the science and history world and struggle with math...which is a total opposite of my son!

So, sell me on your math program for you k'er and why! I don't want just a workbook from walmart. I want something she can continue to use and grow with.

Thanks!

Jessica

I would suggest McRuffy (our personal favorite). There is a workbook, but it includes much more! There are manipulatives, games, and lots of activities that will help kinestic, visual, and auditory learners. I especially love K color math. My kids will play the games just for fun and they have all really enjoyed it! There are samples on their website.

My K'er just finished up MEP Reception level (which is a Pre-K/K level) and is now slowly working through MEP 1. It starts off gently in Reception but REALLY builds number sense and understanding of how they work together. I love it. And it's free, just print it out or use it on the computer. Most of Reception can be done together at the computer or snuggled on the couch. I used it when my Ker was having trouble with numbers (we tried Singapore, Kumon, a little Miquon) and MEP has been our magic. That dd is faster at mental math 10 and under than her big sister now, thanks to MEP.

I'm really Mathy (scientist) and my more serious oldest zoomed thru standard math curricula (skipped K math altogether). Result is she's very good at math (several grades ahead), but doesn't especially LIKE it (any more than one might like a hammer). With my just-as-sharp but more flower-child second dd, I'm opting for a more gentle, interactive approach, and I think it is working wonderfully. SHe's in first grade and enjoys math immensely, but we don't stick to a curriculum. Honestly, for K I would recommend NO math curriculum at ALL...just DO math.

If K you just work on counting to 20, shapes, and the ideas of addition/subtraction you'll be ahead of the game. If you try to force a "dingy" kid into dry math, they'll just end up hating math. Use her currency -- does she like unicorns? Then do "unicorn math" and sit WITH her and tell stories about unicorns and solve problems like, "3 unicorns invited their 5 unicorn friends over for a party. Each unicorn needed a flower wreath. How many flower wreaths did the fairies need to make for the party?" Honestly, given how much angst you hear about "story problems" in later grades, why not start by teaching her how to think and solve the problems and teach her symbolic math later when she can read and write?

Games, hands-on activities...math is supposed to be creative and fun -- so why do most curricula teach it like dry facts? THere was a great NOVA special about how preschoolers inherently LOVE math (sorting, counting, etc) and my 2nd grade most kids HATE it. The theory is because math is taught as a logical exercise and ignores the creative part. Don't ignore the creative part.

Here is Math Mammoth's recommendations for K math:

http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete/kindergarten.php

ETA: I'd second Waldorf-style, Kitchen Table Math or the like if you want a "program". :D

Edited by ChandlerMom

You can try Waldorf style math, which does math through stories, or Kitchen Table Math or Family Math instead of doing a workbook/textbook curriculum. If you really want a curriculum to follow, you might look at Right Start (completely scripted with lots of manipulatives), Math By Hand or Professor B Math.

We did JUMP Math, grade 1 (book 1.1 covers the first half of Grade 1), which is a very simple, scaffolded approach that is probably quite good for many K'ers. It starts with very basic concepts and moves into simple addition and subtraction. It's really very basic.

You can also download and try the first 40 pages free here.

This is about as hands-on as I've seen in a notebook, and I'm actually doing it (slowly, with lots of verbal help) with my 4-year-old.