Menu

I need help scheduling TOG, BJU Life Sciences, Etc

Deanna in TN

My son will be in 7th grade this year, and I will be using some new curriculum. How much time should be allotted for TOG year 3 redesigned, BJU Life Science (not using DVDs or Homesat), Jacobs Algebra, Vocabulary from Classical Roots A, A Beka Grammar I. I know I need to do Algebra and Grammar everyday, but what about the others. How many days and much time do they need? He will be taking an outside IEW writing class. We have some other subjects, but these are the ones I'm not sure about as far as scheduling goes.

Thanks so much for your help.

Deanna

Hi Deanna,

My ds13 used the following:

TOG year 2 redesigned - 1-1.5 hours a day. This includes history, literature, church history, geography, timeline, various hands-on projects. 1/2 the year we only have 4 days a week, the rest is 5 days. We really need 5 days, but manage to squeeze it in.

BJU Life Science (not using DVDs or Homesat) - the averaged 3 or 4 days a week, about 40 minutes or so a day. Some weeks have a lot of vocabulary which adds on to the week, but generally he would work through the chapter in 3 days and take a test on day 4. There may have been a chapter or two that we made into 2 weeks, he worked on it pretty independently and I forget.

HTH,

Karen

What was your daily schedule for TOG? Did you read Core History one day, Church History the next, etc?

For my LG son, yes. We did one thing every day. My dialect and rhetoric level sons schedule their own weeks and the work is too much for one day, for the most part. We do have a weekly rhythm:

Day 1: begin lit and core history, geography, philosophy ®

Day2: lit, core or indepth history, timelines, government ®

Day 3 lit, core or indepth history readings, answer history questions, government and philosophy discussion, hands-on (LG & D together while R & I have discussion)

Day 4 - lit, finish history questions, church history, R lit discussion, LG & D finish hands-on if needed.

Day 5 - finish church history and history questions, church history and history discussion (D&R together) Sometimes they will do the week evaluation in addition to discussion, sometimes instead of (I give D level son his eval and part of the rhetoric if no discussion), and sometimes we skip it.

Also what types of things will be on the loom, and what are the evaluations like?

The Loom with have all the Student Activity pages (SAPs) as pdfs. In addition there are writing level overview and supplements, many literature helps, alternate readings booklist, hands-on helps (e.g. salt dough recipe), blank assignment charts, and various other teacher helps (how to have Socratic discussion, breakdown of high school credits, and more.)

Evaluations is fantastic at the rhetoric level. Every week there are timed questions and essays. Dialectic varies, some weeks focus on cause and effect, some compare/contrast, some weeks are as easy as matching dates to events. It's good. I haven't used the lower level evaluations yet.

HTH,

Karen