Menu

Duke Tip Summer programs

Did your child qualify for academy or center?

Ds loved both summers and would have liked to have returned this summer. However, payment had to be made by March 1st, and there were other programs he wanted to explore which had notification of acceptance dates that were later. The 7th graders apply later than the 8th - 10th graders since they can test as late as February of grade 7.

The experience was very good for him. He attended term 2 at Trinity University the summer after 7th grade and took the web class - I forget the name. He attended term 2 at Duke University last summer and took social psychology.

Is there anything specific you would like to know? You do need to register as soon as the courses open up as they fill quickly.

If your dc qualified for the Grand Recognition Ceremony on Duke's campus, I would urge you to go if you can. It makes for a great day and gives you a chance to see their beautiful campus. In addition to the ceremony itself, they conducted two information sessions in the morning - one on the summer programs and one on the college admissions process.

My daughter went to Davidson for 7th grade. She loved it and Skypes the friends she made there last summer. It was very much worth the money to us. She is very excited about going to one of the Center programs this summer.

I agree that, if you get a chance, the Grand Recognition ceremony at Duke is wonderful. However, I didn't learn anything new at the information meetings. The admissions guy admitted he once didn't believe in homeschooling and how his opinion was slowly changing for the better. But, I was constantly irritated by the attitude of " hey, we're Duke - we reject really smart people all the time" attitude. I felt I had wasted my time even sitting there listening to him speak and was demoralized for the rest of the day.