Menu

Questions about Bible Study Guide for All Ages:

Melora in NC

I'm thinking about switching from Memoria Press's Christian Studies to Bible Study Guide for All Ages, mostly because it just looks like more "fun." I have two questions about BSGAA which I would love to have answered before I switch.

First, does the BSGAA include background information on the readings for the teacher? This is one thing that Christian Studies has which I have found very helpful. Sometimes (okay, often), I don't know how to explain the significance of our Bible readings at all (so far we've done mostly OT), and the background information helps me and my children get the most from our lesson.

Second, does BSGAA have any particular denominational slant? I know their web site says they are non-denominational, but I'd like a second opinion on that! (We are Catholic leaning Episcopalians, so I'm trying to avoid anti-Catholic materials.)

Many thanks for any and all advice!!!

The first time I used this Bible curriculum, I just read through the scripture and did the review questions with my boys. This year, however, I am following the suggestions more carefully and using the Study Guide materials in the back (which tell who wrote each book, a little about their profession, etc.). I am also making sure to read the "Additional Scriptures" section and the "According to the Dictionary". These provide great additional information about each reading. They do make our lessons longer, but I finally decided that this is THE most important subject of the day and deserved the time needed to cover it more thoroughly.

As far as denominational slant, I haven't noticed one, but I am not Catholic and might not perceive something you would find objectionable. I am enjoying this material even more the second time through and feel the kids are getting more out of it, too.

Best of Luck!

We used BSGFA some last year and liked it. We mostly just read the bible verses and did the activity pages. I really like it because my K'er and my 3rd grader had their own activity/coloring page but were on the same bible stories. We didn't use the teacher guide much, but I can see using it a lot more as they get older. The activity pages are very well done.