Menu

MUS pre-algebra

Pre-Algebra is not a review of the other books (although review is included as always). In MUS, Pre-Algebra is a hole filler. It teaches many of the topics that other curriculums would have included along the way including important things like order of operations and does lots more solving equations. It is also the first book with Honors lessons which introduce some more difficult word problems and make student think more than the other levels. I recommend it even if you are going to switch to another curriculum for Algebra and above because it really completes the Elementary math series.

Pre-Algebra is not a review of the other books (although review is included as always). In MUS, Pre-Algebra is a hole filler. It teaches many of the topics that other curriculums would have included along the way including important things like order of operations and does lots more solving equations. It is also the first book with Honors lessons which introduce some more difficult word problems and make student think more than the other levels. I recommend it even if you are going to switch to another curriculum for Algebra and above because it really completes the Elementary math series.

Yes, I agree with this. My son is in it right now and it is definately not filler. He has gone through the entire elementary series (thru Zeta) and this really does cover new areas. Keep in mind that because MUS is a mastery program they don't spend a lot of time on material already covered in previous books. Take look at the scope and sequence below. Would you really want to skip these topics before moving into Algebra?

LESSON 1 Negative Numbers, Addition

LESSON 2 Negative Numbers, Subtraction

LESSON 3 Negative Numbers, Multiplication

LESSON 4 Negative Numbers, Division

LESSON 5 Exponents

LESSON 6 Place Value

LESSON 7 Negative Numbers with Exponents

LESSON 8 Roots and Radicals

LESSON 9 Solve for an Unknown

LESSON 10 Pythagorean Theorem

LESSON 11 Associative and Commutative Property

LESSON 12 Distributive Property

LESSON 13 Solve for an Unknown

LESSON 14 Solve for an Unknown

LESSON 15 Surface Area of Solids

LESSON 16 Transform Celsius to Fahrenheit

LESSON 17 Transform Fahrenheit to Celsius

LESSON 18 Absolute Value

LESSON 19 Ratio and Proportion

LESSON 20 Similar Polygons

LESSON 21 Least Common Multiple

LESSON 22 Greatest Common Factor

LESSON 23 Polynomials, Addition

LESSON 24 Volume of a Cylinder

LESSON 25 Polynomials, Multiplication

LESSON 26 Adding and Subtracting Time

LESSON 27 Volume of a Pyramid and a Cone

LESSON 28 Military Time, Addition and Subtraction

LESSON 29 Measurement, Addition and Subtraction

LESSON 30 Irrational Numbers

Edited by dereksurfs

Yes, ds did Algebra this year. It is a long course with 35 lessons, but we are almost though (lesson 31). Did you have any specific questions?

Algebra started off difficult for us. The videos were long and the "reviews" we actually applying techniques they had learned in new ways, something my ds struggles with. He found it very difficult to keep up at first. This levels out pretty quickly though and the second half of the course has been great!

Yes, I agree with this. My son is in it right now and it is definately not filler. He has gone through the entire elementary series (thru Zeta) and this really does cover new areas. Keep in mind that because MUS is a mastery program they don't spend a lot of time on material already covered in previous books. Take look at the scope and sequence below. Would you really want to skip these topics before moving into Algebra?

Great to know - we have also done MUS from the beginning and are scheduled to do Pre-Algrebra this coming year (which i think is a year late). Gonna have to play catch-up as well :tongue_smilie:

We'll be using MUS at three different levels as soon as it arrives (shipped yesterday), including Pre-Algebra for my 7th/8th grader. We're spending the waiting time reviewing fractions and decimals like crazy because I want her *ready for success*. I've been through too many muddy waters with my oldest and math, and in fact am switching her to MUS for Geometry. If it goes well, I'm thinking she just *might* be agreeable to going on to Algebra 2, which as of right now she wants no part of it. :tongue_smilie: