Menu

Saxon vs. CLE Math

diaperjoys

I've done both Saxon and CLE and I prefer CLE. They both are good programs and fairly independant but I think Saxon goes overboard on the number of problems they require and I like (so does my son) that all work is in the workbook. He doesn't have to rewrite all problem on a separate sheet of paper. I used Saxon with my older 4 kids before I knew about CLE. I just picked up HSing again and new my son wasn't loving math (pulled out of PS) and decided to try CLE because it was like Saxon but had the differences I mentioned. I'm sticking with CLE.

I was hoping for more answers as well.

Even though we have only been doing CLE since December, I will add my 2 cents.

Saxon:

Pros

-I love how hands on the K-3 lessons are, these do teach the "whys" of math, though not to the extent of MM or Singapore.

-In 5/4 and up, the problems have the lesson that the concept was taught. That really helps for going over it again if you get stuck.

-There is a lot of help in the TM. K-3 has scripting that you can use or not. But it does give you an idea for how to teach. The lessons for 5/4 and up usually explain a lot.

Cons

-K-2 is a bit behind. Saxon 3 does catch up to grade level. My DD took a test at the beginning 3rd grade after having gone through Saxon 2. She tested as early 2nd grade level in math. Not because she did poorly, but just because she hadn't learned it yet.

-K-3 worksheet paper quality is horrible. And 5/4 and up require copying the problems. I don't see this as so bad at like 6th grade, but 4th and 5th it is a bit much.

-The front and back of the K-3 worksheets are exactly the same. I know that the back side is supposed to be homework, but a little variety would be nice.

-Some of the teaching I don't care for. Like teaching place value mainly with money. My DD learns place value much better using Base 10 kits because then she can SEE the difference between a 1 and a 10. With money, either way you are just looking at a coin. It's abstract.

-Saxon 3 basically begins multiplication with the 7 facts. That was such a bad fit that we had to jump ship.

-The meeting time is cumbersome, even if you pick and choose.

CLE:

Pros

-The worksheets go up into the higher grades.

-The teaching is right there and accessible to the student.

-The workbooks are a very nice quality. While they aren't full color, they do have some pictures to keep it visually interesting.

-My DD loves the themes for each light unit.

-The teaching is very logical.

-They have good word problems in my opinion.

Cons

-It does follow a different scope and sequence. My DD had to go back into the middle of the 200s. Not a big deal, but I do feel like we are behind now because of how much Saxon 3 covers in 3rd.

-The TM is basically useless. I make my own hands on lessons since my DD does better when I teach versus self-teaching.

-The worksheets are a bit long. I know they give you room to write and so on, but you have problems where there are 4+ problems in that problem. So even though you have 4 pages of work and 27 problems, it really is more like 35 or so when you count them all individually.

My DD is learning much better with CLE, but the amount of work each day is a bit of a struggle. I fear she might get burnt out. I hope not because I really do like CLE more than Saxon.

I see you are also using BJU math. I personally loved BJU math for K-2 (the levels I taught), but have been hesitant to go back to it since I have heard that the 4-6th grades aren't as nice. I would love to hear otherwise.