Menu

Diet and grocery budget...

Seems we've had several threads lately about diets (or ways of eating if the *d* word is anathema to you!) and grocery budgets and couponing and sales cycles.

We're a family of 5. Mom, Dad, DS12.5, DD11 and DS10. We also have two dogs, who happen to be allergic to fleas and corn. Yay! :glare: No cheapo dog food for them. Even on sale, it's >$50/bag. I have a bin, so I always buy the largest bag that will fit in the bin. It usually lasts 4-6 weeks, which isn't so bad. We do tend to eat out a lot, which I am wanting to decrease greatly. If we account for all the eating out and the things we do eat at home, I'm sure our current grocery expenditures are bordering on obscene. I actually have no idea what we really spend because I never account for the eating out.

With that in mind, what do other families our size spend? What types of diets do you eat with those budgets? Do you coupon or stockpile? (I haven't paid for toothpaste in over a year. I never spend more than $0.50 for deodorant and $1 for good shampoo/conditioner. I know I can do better, but it's one more thing to add to my plate in terms of time/effort.) Do you eat a lot of processed carbs to decrease your cost or add fillers to your meal plan? (I tend to prefer a lower carb WoE, but pasta is cheap when you're trying to feed growing boys.)