Menu

SOTW through middle school?

Hi. We just discovered WTM and SOTW. For 2 years we have been doing Sonlight, which is not working for us. We want to start my dd (11) and DS (9) in the 4 year plan but we are almost done with 5th and 3rd grade. Is SOTW going to be enough for my dd for the next 4 years? She would be in 9th grade for her last year. I see many posts about supplementing and we do have some ideas: adding a biography of someone in the readings, outlining, and a small research paper every week on something that we have covered that week. I will have her read all the encyclopedia entries in the AG and and then another book on the subject or a historical fiction.

For my ds, we are going to use the AG and some easy books since his reading comprehension is not great.

We are planning on starting the curriculum as soon as it comes. Will it be enough to prepare dd for high school and college? She wants to stay homeschooled all through high school.

TIA

Jen

We've been using SOTW since we started homeschool three years ago.

For each chapter I read the selection aloud. We discuss using the AG questions, find the countries mentioned on the globe and map and give an oral narration of the selection.

DS10 writes several sentences in his notebook about the selection and usually illustrates his narration. I assign reading to him, usually it comes from the AG recommendations. If his reading involves a novel or longer reading I have him summarize the selection after he finishes reading.

For my dd12 we use the Kingfisher books for extra informational reading and outlining. We started doing a main idea outline then progressed each year. She can now outline a section beautifully. I know she's well prepared to organized and outline anything she is given. I also give her a novel to read on our historical period each week. Sometimes it's an easier book and she reads two. Sometimes it's more challenging and she gets extra time. After she's finished with the required reading she writes a summary and makes a recommendation with very specific reasons for her opinions concerning the book.

I think it would be just fine. I'm using Story of the World with my 4th and 6th graders. We're on Middle Ages this year, so we should finish the cycle when dd is done with 8th grade. This will leave her 4 years of high school for a World History overview and an in depth American History study. It sounds like your dd would have 3 years left of high school after the 4 year cycle? Then you could do a 2 year World History overview and a 1 year American History study or vice versa.

my boys in middle school HATED SotW, because the love history, and get into it. They enjoy BJU.

my twin girls now 6th grade tolerate it, because we do it speed version.

They read it together, giggling and if it is something that might make them intrigued, they come out and share it with me.

They take notes, thru the reading out loud in a composition notebook. Then take the test from their notes.

They do a chapter a day 3x a week. Next year we are doing book 3&4, finishing them off, and we will move to something else, probably SoS.