Menu

Dolciani Algebra I question

What's the difference between "Modern School Mathematics Algebra I" and "Modern Algebra Structure & Method Book 1"?

I bought a 1967 version of the former today and am wondering if this is the text that is so well liked or if it is the latter.

You have the former. I have copies of both the 1965 (1962) Structure and Method book and the 1970 (1967) Modern School Mathematics book. Personally, I prefer the instruction in the earlier edition, but both are great.

There were two different sets of authors for these books. The 1965 (1962) book was written by Dolciani, Berman, and Freilich, and the 1970 (1967) book was written by Dolciani, Wooton, Beckenbach, Jurgensen, and Donnelly.

The earlier text has a red and turqoise cover, while the latter text has a blue cover. The TOC are different, and there is more set work in the earlier edition, at least from what I can tell in comparing the two.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

Guest Jerry Matrix

The Modern School Mathematics Algebra 1 book was regarded as one of the best high school level text books ever written. It includes chapters on digital computer methods and systems of equations in three variables that the earlier edition does not have. I feel it was better than its predecessor. However, opinions are what they are. You may have a different one depending on what you want to get out of it. However, on the down side it is out dated with respect to the current curriculum. It gets too bogged down in rigor and does not contain the calculator problems that are in current text books. The digital computer methods introduced is in PL/1 which is no longer used. Students don't do much graphing on paper now as it is all programmed into their graphing calculator. However, it is still my opinion that if you want a solid math background, then use the book you have and integrate the technology needed to modernize it. I have both these books and a lot more. Please feel free to check out the pictures of the text books I have uploaded. If you get stuck on a problem, then I may be able to help you.

Edited by Jerry Matrix
Correct spelling

You have the former. I have copies of both the 1965 (1962) Structure and Method book and the 1970 (1967) Modern School Mathematics book. Personally, I prefer the instruction in the earlier edition, but both are great.

There were two different sets of authors for these books. The 1965 (1962) book were written by Dolciani, Berman, and Freilich, and the 1970 (1967) book were written by Dolciani, Wooton, Beckenbach, Jurgensen, and Donnelly.

The earlier text has a red and turqoise cover, while the latter text has a blue cover. The TOC are different, and there is more set work in the earlier edition, at least from what I can tell in comparing the two.

Thanks!

The Modern School Mathematics Algebra 1 book was regarded as one of the best high school level text books ever written. It includes chapters on digital computer methods and systems of equations in three variables that the earlier edition does not have. I feel it was better than its predecessor. However, opinions are what they are. You may have a different one depending on what you want to get out of it. However, on the down side it is out dated with respect to the current curriculum. It gets too bogged down in rigor and does not contain the calculator problems that are in current text books. The digital computer methods introduced is in PL/1 which is no longer used. Students don't do much graphing on paper now as it is all programmed into their graphing calculator. However, it is still my opinion that if you want a solid math background, then use the book you have and integrate the technology needed to modernize it. I have both these books and a lot more. Please feel free to check out the pictures of the text books I have uploaded. If you get stuck on a problem, then I may be able to help you.

Thanks for your offer of help. I guess the pictures didn't load - no worries. Have you got any suggestions for a text that would be good to use for integrating the technology? I am not "mathy" at all and really feel lost when it comes to this topic.

Thanks for your offer of help. I guess the pictures didn't load - no worries. Have you got any suggestions for a text that would be good to use for integrating the technology? I am not "mathy" at all and really feel lost when it comes to this topic.

The pictures are on Jerry's user profile page in the photo section. Having these cover photos in one place may be very helpful to those looking for particular editions.

I have both these books and a lot more. Please feel free to check out the pictures of the text books I have uploaded. If you get stuck on a problem, then I may be able to help you.

Thank you for taking the time to post the pictures of all of the book covers. That is incredibly helpful, and I'm sure, very much appreciated by everyone here.

Guest Jerry Matrix

I don't have an answer for you on the book to use for integrating the technology. I will have to let someone else help you with that. However, I would recommend a some programming and some software that did graphing in 3D. I am glad you found the pictures useful. However, the number of pictures you can upload is limited and I am maxed out. I am wondering what would be more advantageous. Should I upload all the text books and delete the solution manuals or keep the solution manuals and be more selective on the text books. Maybe I should be more selective on both and use the additional space to give solutions to problems that people get stuck on that want to use the old books, but don't have a solution key. What do you think?

I remembered about this old thread, and thought I should post it here.

Hope that it is helpful. Dolciani discussion

I did a search for "dolciani" before I posted my question and found this post to be very helpful, although it did not answer my particular question. I also clicked the tag for "Dolciani" at the bottom and spent several hours reading all the related posts then, too. These boards are wonderful for all the information others are so kind to take the time and energy to share!

I do get disheartened though, when I think of my non-math brain and how I may not be doing my children any favors by choosing less rigorous texts because I'm having trouble understanding the material. I'm amazed at how so many ladies here can pick up a math textbook and see that it is weak on this area and strong in that one and so they know to buy this or that to supplement, etc., etc. To me if the title says Algebra I then it must be okay, kwim? I'm just not smart enough to skim a TOC and see that I might need to choose another text or supplement what I have. I wouldn't even know what to supplement with! We own TT Alg. 1 and 2 and after comparing the TOCs on these to the Dolciani I can see that the TT texts aren't as comprehensive. The newer version of TT Alg. 1 does have about 15 more lessons in it, but I own the older version and the company wants about $100 to upgrade. That's half of what it would cost new, but I haven't got $100 - especially if I'm still only getting something that isn't quite up to snuff.

Ds15 was struggling with math and I was thinking he needed to have a gentler approach. I already owned the TT since I bought it for DD19 who is like me and is planning on majoring in piano pedagogy when she goes to college this fall. I knew she didn't really need anything rigorous in her chosen field. But Ds wants to be an accountant.

His uncle is an accountant and that is his primary motivation. During his free time he writes pirate stories and screenplays and is working on learning ventriloquism. What I'm trying to say is he is really not mathy either - he is very right-brained - but he has it in his mind that he wants to be an accountant based solely on the fact that his uncle, whom he adores, has encouraged him in this way. (It's a long story but it has to do with the fact dh did not go to college and is a letter carrier and it is very hard to live on his salary in this high cost of living area and we really have no choice because moving is out of the question - transferring in the PO is next to impossible) I know that being an accountant involves more than just adding and subtracting, so I really want Ds to be prepared for college-level math courses, but I don't feel equipped to help him.

We cannot afford to hire a tutor or use an outside source (I've checked Landry Academy and one other I can't remember the name of off hand). It's going to be a stretch financially to even switch texts, let alone take an outside course.

In the other post that Beth started she said she had issues with buying teacher's manuals that turned out not to be teacher's manuals and was having to fight to get her money back. I don't have the extra money to make mistakes like that so I'm wondering if I just go ahead and use the TT, will Ds be lost when he gets to college?

Sorry for the ramble. I was so excited when I found the Dolciani text the other day because I knew many here think it is a great textbook. I was surprised to see that it is the same textbook (same cover!) that I used in 9th grade. The thing is I barely passed Algebra I (granted, that was the year my parents got divorced so I was probably not really focusing on math) and it scares me to think of using this text if I don't have the right teacher's manual and lots of support outside of myself to teach it. Maybe I should just skip it and use the TT I already own.

Oh, and I meant to say that I slowed Ds down at the beginning of this year and had him do LOF fractions and decimals because he hit a wall in his TT Pre-A book when it switched from review of basic math to introducing algebraic concepts. He started up in the TT after Christmas and says now that it is easy - I figured he just need the time to develop a bit more neurologically speaking to do the algebra portion. That gives me hope that he is truly now ready for algebra. He will be 16 in July and I feel like he is already behind in the typical high school math sequence so I don't feel I can waste any more time on this - I need to find a good solid Algebra program for him now.