Menu

If you did Saxon Phonics K through 2.....

mhg

If you did Saxon Phonics K through 2, where was your child at the end of it? [:glare:How to put my question........?]. I'm wondering what we'll do next. My son is 5 and we're in Saxon Phonics 1 and will finish Saxon 2 by end of 1st grade/early 2nd. This program is so thorough/comprehensive that I just don't know what will be a good option for us once we finish it. I thought about Logic of English and then ruled this out as we will already know the phonograms/rules and have such a good spelling foundation. I thought about AAS but that is likely something we will have already learned (at least its early level). So, where did you take your language arts program after you were done with Saxon Phonics 2? What grammar program? Where were you at your writing? It covers so many skills that I just don't know how a transition to something else will look like. In short.....in the various language arts areas (phonics/reading/fluency/spelling/grammar/etc) where were you (level-wise) and what'd did you find was a good place to go from there (if this makes sense)? I know it's individual, but I'm curious as to where others found themselves after use of this great program. :bigear:

Child #1: She did Saxon K, 1, and part of 2, then she continued Phonics with a Seton book. I think it was Phonics 4, but I'm not sure. This child has pretty severe dyslexia, so I wanted her to keep doing Phonics for some time. Her spelling was atrocious for years because of the dyslexia, and all spelling programs were too hard for her. We went through FLL 1/2 for grammar, but she was a bit older (and I've since decided not to use FLL with any other children). Her experience was drastically different from your child's so I'm not even sure it applies. Thankfully with her I happened into a good solid program like Saxon that did teach her to read!

Child #2: She did only Saxon Phonics K. Halfway through it she could read fluently and we didn't do much more than that. She also did FLL after that for the grammar aspect. She is my unschooly type child so we haven't done much formally in terms of grammar/writing.

Child #3: Currently halfway through Saxon Phonics 2. He has had some therapy for his writing and is also working through WWE (about halfway through level 1).

Children #4/5 (twins): Currently in K. On verge of reading.

I'm not sure my experience really helps you. I mainly use Saxon Phonics to get my children reading and reading well. If they need extra help, I keep going through the higher levels. If they don't, we stop.

HTH!

I know you recently asked me about LOE. Have you looked at SWR? It might be an option. Your ds would be able to test into a certain list, then you would move from there. It takes a little to understand the manual, though. It supposedly ends at a 12th grade + level when finished.

My 7 almost 8 year old second grade daughter did Saxon in K and in 1st grade at public school. She was pretty much reading well by the end of K, and now is reading at a 4/5th grade level. She can read from Charlie and the Chocolate Factoey, Little House in the Big Woods, etc. She still likes Junie B Jones 1st grader books whch are at abt a 3rd grade reading level. I think Saxon did a great job getting her ready to read and I almost kick myself for getting a different LA program in our 1st year homeschooling. I wish I would have kept going in Saxon.

It is an amazing program. My son is 5 and last night asked his dad if he could read to him. We're in the early lessons of Saxon Phonics 1. We have been doing the (included with the kit) readers and some Victory Drill Book and I hadn't thought of asking him to read anything else really. So, back to my story....he asked his dad if he could read him a book. He grabbed a library book called, "Now and Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin" and opened it to a random page and read slowly but correctly this sentence, "Ben was one of the scientists who discovered the true nature of electricity and how to use it. He learned that lightning is electricity when he attached a small metal wire to the top of a kite and gathered electricity from a storm cloud." (The two underlined were the only ones with which he had to be helped!). I had got that book from the library the day before and had read it to him one time. I asked my husband if he had read it to him and he said never. And I wouldn't say he's some genius kid; it's just that good of a program. My only regret is that I didn't start it at age 4.5 as the first 100 lessons of Saxon Phonics K were alphabet sounds. But...it does leave me a bit curious as to the best course after we complete it. I guess we'll be ready for grammar.

Edited by mhg