Menu

Learning Independently

Slipper

My 10dd is very much independent when it comes to learning new things. If I try to help her, she literally clutches the work to her chest and tells me, "Don't help me - I want to figure it out myself." Typically I leave her alone unless I see her working herself into a frenzy. Showing her something at that point typically doesn't take longer than about 5 - 10 minutes. She just needed help to make it 'click'.

My youngest is showing a strong tendency towards doing the same. I've enjoyed homeschooling over the past two months but I admit that part of it is because she enjoys learning on her own. I step in to help with math and sometimes we read together (usually she reads to me). We do history together (SOTW). She's only 7 yrs old though and I wonder if I should be doing more hands-on instruction? Unlike my 10dd, she will ask me if she needs help.

My youngest is doing well in her schoolwork. I've ordered the book "What Every First Grader Should Know" (or something like that) and will check for gaps.

Is this okay or should I push harder to instruct?

My 10dd is very much independent when it comes to learning new things. If I try to help her, she literally clutches the work to her chest and tells me, "Don't help me - I want to figure it out myself." Typically I leave her alone unless I see her working herself into a frenzy. Showing her something at that point typically doesn't take longer than about 5 - 10 minutes. She just needed help to make it 'click'.

Ohhhhh, I would LOVE this - my kids usually complain about doing anything independently and want me sitting there coaching them through every step.... I would be in heaven!

Thanks. And yes, their work is doing quite well. My 10yo dd isn't homeschooled yet (we afterschool in math), but she's always operated independently with her other subjects. My youngest seems to be doing great. She doesn't like it when I hover (helpfully). It seems to make her suspicious. lol