Menu

Sonlight I Can Read It question

Rebel Jedi Mom

I was wondering how this compares to the other phonics programs. Seems like it's more than just readers.

The word list book is similar to Abeka's lists in their Handbook for Reading. It would be similar to most reading programs.

We use Saxon Phonics as our main phonics curriculum, but I use the I Can Read It books instead of the little readers in Saxon's program. My DS also reads the Sonlight Word Lists when they are scheduled by Sonlight as we work through the books. We are currently half-way through Saxon Phonics 1 and we are just about finished the 3rd I Can Read It book. I love Sonlight's reader schedules. We start with the I Can Read It books then move through their schedules until we finish the Advanced Reader schedule. It is a great line-up of incremental 'real' books. As my children read through the levels, I move from asking them comprehension questions verbally to having them read the chapter on their own, and I type up Sonlight's comprehension questions for them to answer with full sentences.

HTH!