Menu

Question about MCT and Omnibus and also a Latin curriculum question

Anyone with some advice...

I have a profoundly gifted almost 11 yr old dd. She is finishing Latina Christina II, IEW Economics Writing, and a combined history reading list from Veritas Press and Sonlight.

My challenge is always trying to stay a step ahead in planning, so I am thinking of using MCT and Omnibus I next. I am not sure if that is the best choice. What level should we use for MCT - Magic Lens? Any Latin recommendations? I have Wheelocks but I'm not sure if its the best choice... Any advice? Thank YOU!!!

Bumping, hoping for some advice/input.

Would Omnibus I and MCT work okay together? I would try to use both MCT and Omnibus I for literature- not requiring 100% from either but a healthy dose of both. Also, we haven't used MCT before- what level is best to start for a student who writes well and has a good grasp of basic grammar?

Any advice on what to use after Latina Christiana II? My dd loves Latin. It is her favorite subject and she finds it relatively easy.

Please, any advice?

Thank You!

I think the Voyage level is good. Yes, it's "5th-6th" grade on some lists, but it's so beautifully done and not too simplistic. Grammar Voyage is beautiful, easy to start with, and covers most of what's needed. (Magic Lens has a fair bit of repetition at the beginning and isn't nearly as appealing.) Essay Voyage is a nice, but not simple, discussion of essay writing. The vocabulary in Caesar's English 1 and 2 aren't super simple. If you can borrow the Building Language book for a quick read before Caesar's English, that would be an appealing description of the concept, but it's pretty simple and not necessary. The Voyage level poetry isn't too simple either, so I'd say the Voyage level is a good place to start and they're so appealing and engaging.

Any Latin recommendations? I have Wheelocks but I'm not sure if its the best choice...

You could study D'ooge's Latin before Wheelock's. It's old and not well-known but is similar to Wheelock's. It would be fairly easy to move to Wheelock's afterward.

Having said that, I think you could probably begin Wheelock's already. My son studied it with his dad starting in 7th grade. He's now in 9th grade and his high school uses Ecce Romani (unfortunately) which we've modified somewhat in an attempt to teach it more like Wheelock's. I do not like ER, but we're stuck with it until 11th grade.