Menu

LifePAC style classical learning?

tntgoodwin

So, dw and I were discussing first grade for our dd, and we need to try to find a compromise solution for history curriculum. I was originally thinking of using SOTW along with Biblioplan, CHOL, or Easy Classical. I showed her, and she is not a fan. Too many books and too much reading and takes too long. It is difficult with having the younger two children to put the time into reading books and doing projects and whatnot.

What she would prefer is either a video or computer based curriculum, or something like the Alpha Omega Life PACs, or similar. Some kind of worktext my daughter can read and answer questions about right on the page.

I would at least like to continue the Trivium based order of learning, with a 4 year history cycle though.

Any ideas???

Edited by tntgoodwin

Well, I understand the challenge. Here are two ideas:

Veritas Press online history. This teaches the Bible as literal history and, I believe, is meant to begin in 2nd grade.

K12 history online. This is not independent for the child, though. It is secular though I do not believe it deals with origins.

To be honest, a 6yo is too young for an independent online history program, or any other independent program. And history is simply not terribly important for a child of that age. You would be better to focus on her skills: get a good math program, start Writing With Ease, do some handwriting, work through a phonics program and make sure she gets a story or two most every day, and wait a year or two before doing history with her.

Or just plop her in front of some good videos, simple enough if you replace the ancients with American history; Liberty's Kids is a good place to start.

Does that resonate with you at all, or is it completely useless? :D

We are doing most of that for K lol. I am wanting to do Ancient history for 1st grade.

I will look at those websites, thanks!

Then you are in fine form! :)

I was going to add, you could think of the STOW audiobooks. They are narrated by Jim Weiss, whose voice took getting-used to for me and drives my husband batty. But if you just pick a chapter to play in the car each week and listen to it a few times, or set her up at home to listen, that would work well. You can offer the child the opportunity to read along, depending on her reading level. For review it is simple to look over the chapter and either ask a few questions, or have the child narrate something back, which you can write for her if you wish and stick in a notebook.

ETA: are you working from the Bible as literal history? Esp. if not, K12 is an excellent program.

ETA #2: I see she is doing first grade language arts and math. Consider posting on the accelerated forum.

Edited by serendipitous journey