Menu

Bridge to Latin Road--How much grammar & Is it req'd to do Latin Road?

Jen the RD

There just aren't many archived threads on the Latin Road curriculum, so I'm hoping some of you current users will help me out by answering some questions.

My 9 yr old ds has used BJU grammar/writing & R&S English 3. He seems to understand the concepts when taught but has little retention without much review. In both programs, a source of confusion comes when asked to diagram sentences that include words pertaining to parts of speech that he has not yet learned.

Example: A brown dog jumped the fence.

He hasn't learned adjectives or articles yet, so they throw him off in determining the simple skeleton of the sentence.

So, what I want to know is how much grammar is actually covered in Bridge that might not be in Latin Road I. And are the parts of speech systematically introduced one by one. Honestly, I think this is the only approach that is going to help my ds "get it". Third, is Bridge essential to moving into Latin Road I.

Thanks so much in advance.

Jennifer

No advice. But have you looked at the Table of Contents sample? I think it is on the website. No English grammar is covered in LR. The child is expected to apply all he has learned previously to Latin. You might consider stepping down to a lower level he he struggles that much. Also, I have done R&S with mine and do not remember the child ever being asked to diagram something he had not been taught yet. The easiest way to find the skeleton is to look for the verb and ask who or what did it. HTH and at least this gets bumped where the local Latin Road guru (whose name escapes me) will see it.

I haven't used Bridge, but we are working on LR 1. If your ds doesn't know the parts of speech, I really think he would struggle with LR1. Right of the bat, you are talking about direct and indirect objects, objects of the preposition, etc because it makes a difference in declensions. My 10 year old is struggling to keep up a bit, and he already knew all the parts of speech when we started.

I think Bridge is a more gentle intro into grammar and Latin, but like I said, I haven't used it.

No advice. But have you looked at the Table of Contents sample? I think it is on the website. No English grammar is covered in LR. The child is expected to apply all he has learned previously to Latin. You might consider stepping down to a lower level he he struggles that much. Also, I have done R&S with mine and do not remember the child ever being asked to diagram something he had not been taught yet. The easiest way to find the skeleton is to look for the verb and ask who or what did it. HTH and at least this gets bumped where the local Latin Road guru (whose name escapes me) will see it.

I have looked at the TOC and listened to the videos on the website, but I didn't get a good sense of how the grammar was actually "taught". I did go down a level in R&S to 3 even though he's in 4th grade. I probably didn't make myself clear about the diagramming.....what I mean is that R&S has students diagram only skeletons that have been taught without looking at every word in the sentence and knowing the part of speech & function of that word. My dd has used R&S through level 7 and this always bugged me with her too. We might be covering DO or PP and they'd throw in verbals that had not been introduced. She wouldn't be responsible for the diagramming of the verbal, but it would confuse her to have those extra words and not really know their function in the sentence. Now for her, this has been a minor thing, but for my ds, it's a major thing.

Thanks for your help and reply.

Jennifer

I haven't used Bridge, but we are working on LR 1. If your ds doesn't know the parts of speech, I really think he would struggle with LR1. Right of the bat, you are talking about direct and indirect objects, objects of the preposition, etc because it makes a difference in declensions. My 10 year old is struggling to keep up a bit, and he already knew all the parts of speech when we started.

I think Bridge is a more gentle intro into grammar and Latin, but like I said, I haven't used it.

So, he needs to understand parts of speech and how they function in the sentence BEFORE doing LRI. OK, this is great to know. We'll definitely wait before we begin LRI. I'm still interested in hearing from others who've used Bridge to find out how much grammar is included. This will help me decide whether to use it or find a different type of grammar program for him.

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Jennifer

The bridge starts at nouns and verbs and marches through to diagramming. The intent is to bring the students up to speed to be able to get into the Latin Road.

FWIW...I have a brand new teacher / student packet to sell, if you are looking to buy. The teacher's notebook has some notes on some of the lessons, but the student notebook is brand new (I accidentally bought two!!!) pm me if you're interested.