Menu

Math - Need more practice or diff. curriculum?

honeymommy4

How can you tell when a child needs more drills in math or if the program is just not working for them.

We have done more traditional math up until lately. have used Math Mammoth and online ps curriculum math for a portion of the year. Both seem to "bottom out" for him. He sort of dries up after going over the same stuff like drills, but We aren't ready to move on - or so I think...

wondering if something like MUS would benefit where there is a video, colorful manipulatives, etc.

I would try Rod and Staff or Christian Light Education and stick with it for at least one grade level.

Rod and Staff does not have a placement test but the table of contents for each grade is listed on the samples at http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com. It is old-fashioned (no algebra,etc.) but that is a good thing. 3rd is basically all about multiplication facts. It is mastery. So you teach a concept and most of the practice for that day is the lesson. Some review is done but not like in Saxon (see below). Concepts are clearly explained with 'new' math.

We ahve used 2nd editions of 1st and 3rd. I wish I had stayed with it especially for my oldest.

Be sure he take the placement test for CLE. Then start where he places.This is very important. It is independent from 300 level up. It explains concepts clearly and has lots of review. There are daily drills in the back of each LU. This is how my older 2 finally learned their facts. The website has samples. It is spiral but not like Saxon overkill. (can you tell we really hate Saxon here?) The lesson intros a new concept, practice is a few of the new thing plus the rest being all review of previous lessons. We have used Grades 100, 300-500.

My kids found MUS confusing and adding in extra steps with the blocks. They would forget how to do the work as soon as the DVD ended. Mr. Demme gives these long explanations then right at the very end says 'but you can do it this shorter easy way.' which of course is the way to do it in the first place! It was frustrating. The blocks/explanations using them ended up being a hinderance or most often used as LEGOs when they were supposed to be doing math. We tried various levels various times before I finally gave it up.

Can you be more specific as to the point where he bottoms out?

My DS didn't care for MUS, but then he's not cared for any program. :glare:

Don't forget, if you want a supplemental video instruction there's always Kahn Academy and other online resources. If you have Netflix, you can also view CyberChase episodes.

I am not sure what you mean by bottom out. Do you mean that at first it is easy for him and then it it not easy? I don't know which book or what you covered with MM, but most ps products will begin with review. So, the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the year will be review of last year's material. If you switched texts on him as he began having difficulty, then he probably didn't moving forward much if at all. Now, MM is becoming difficult and you are talking about switching again.

If this is the case, then my suggestion would be to spend more time teaching him math and stop switching. As a pp said, stick with something for a full year. Sure, if a particular topic is giving him problems, squat there. Do drill, manipulative exploration, extra sheets online, or whatever helps him understand the material, but, once he has a handle on the material, go back to the text and keep moving through it. If you keep jumping to different programs, he will have a hard time moving forward.

If I misunderstood, please disregard my suggestion.

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN

Well I am still new to all the terminology here -I need to look up mastery vs. conceptual vs. spiral...

MM seems to skip around. One day they are doing sums to 14 the next you are doing subtraction from 10 they are looking for 3-part answers sometimes, like 2, 3 and 5, not 5 & 5. For some reason this throws us both off.

We don't do every worksheet, but I think skipping around might be also hurting his practice. I have only switched programs one time, trying out Ray's but learning that he needs visuals so that doesn't work for us very well.

I will look up threads on mastery, thanks! :001_smile:

Edited by honeymommy4