Menu

can you critique my 7th grade choices, please

Firestar Academy

This is only my 2nd year homeschooling, so I have sooo many doubts about the choices.

math - TTpre-alg

Writing - IEW

Grammar - Shurley 7 Started this year - finish next year

vocab - Worldy wise 7 (maybe 6) never used this

Science - Apologia Gen Sci

history - sonlight core 6

Music - piano lessons & taking one class at local Community College

Dance classes (6 hours/week this year)

Spelling - Apples & Pears level b (using Level a this year) Yeah - we have spelling issues.

We have chosen no foreign langages. we are doing the minimum 2 years in high school.

I was thinking about using SL LA instead of shurley 7 and IEW.

Thanks for looking/commenting.

Robin in NJ

Personally, I think this looks great. Not sure which IEW you are going to use, but the theme based books have vocab with them. IMO, if your student has completed other levels of Shurley, he has a great foundation. I would simply use Daily Grams, Fix-It!, Editor in Chief, etc. to keep skills fresh. We put Shurley 7 down a little over half way through. Some of those grammar lessons weren't useful to a 7th grader.

Grace to you,

Teresa in NC

This is only my 2nd year homeschooling, so I have sooo many doubts about the choices.

math - TTpre-alg (FWIW, my 7th grade son is kinda bored with this; he has scored 95-100% on every lesson. Does your student have a solid foundation thus far? If so, he may not need to spend a year in Pre-algebra?)

Writing - IEW

Grammar - Shurley 7 Started this year - finish next year

vocab - Worldy wise 7 (maybe 6) never used this My children tired of this quickly. Same exercises each lesson for the whole year =)

Science - Apologia Gen Sci http://wikis.engrade.com/nctgs Love this site! Has flashcards, lesson relevant youtube videos, and more!

history - sonlight core 6

Music - piano lessons & taking one class at local Community College

Dance classes (6 hours/week this year)

Spelling - Apples & Pears level b (using Level a this year) Yeah - we have spelling issues. Great product!

We have chosen no foreign langages. we are doing the minimum 2 years in high school.

I was thinking about using SL LA instead of shurley 7 and IEW. IMO, SL's LA is a bit weak. IEW is my writing curriculum of choice in 16 years of hs'ing =)

Thanks for looking/commenting.

Robin in NJ

we are using the IEW level A. We have slight issues with spelling, writing and all that. so we are going slooooow. Also, I have an 8 year old in the house.

Would I be missing someting if I just bought the TT algebra and skipped over the prealgebra? she is in the TT7 now and gets 100% on the lessons. I don't know how to just 'skip'. It's not in my nature (the box-checker)

Robin in NJ