Menu

Henle vs Lively Latin

Oak Knoll Mom

My son has been using Lively Latin for a couple of years now and *loves* it. He has told me that he could do Latin all day long.

Yesterday, we observed a Latin class that was doing Henle I. They conjugated "to call" as vocō, vocāre, vocāvī, vocātus however in Lively Latin we conjugate it as vocō, vocāre, vocāvī, vocātum.

Can someone explain 1) why there is a difference between the two and 2) will this cause much confusion and frustration for my Latin loving boy?

My plan had been to learn Latin along with him. I've kept up with the vocabulary, but he passed me a long time ago in grammar. :D

• 3 months later...
My son has been using Lively Latin for a couple of years now and *loves* it. He has told me that he could do Latin all day long.

Yesterday, we observed a Latin class that was doing Henle I. They conjugated "to call" as vocō, vocāre, vocāvī, vocātus however in Lively Latin we conjugate it as vocō, vocāre, vocāvī, vocātum.

Can someone explain 1) why there is a difference between the two and 2) will this cause much confusion and frustration for my Latin loving boy?

My plan had been to learn Latin along with him. I've kept up with the vocabulary, but he passed me a long time ago in grammar. :D

vocatus is the perfect passive participle, vocatum is the supine. There's a debate in Latin pedagogy which is better to use as the fourth principal part. The neuter nominative singular of the perfect passive participle and the nominative singular of the supine look exactly the same. This needs be no source of confusion.