Menu

Elementary Greek Question

Bloggermom

My son is currently using Elementary Greek I, but for certain reasons I feel like we need to put Greek on the back burner for 6-12 months while we focus fire on other subjects. Does Elementary Greek II review everything from I or does it need to be continued straight through one after the other without stopping?

Elementary Greek 2 barely barely reviews level 1. It moves into new stuff by week 2. And you have to master about 30 vocab words and two conjugation charts in level one (or week one of level two) before moving on.

Hope that helps.

:iagree: If you're going to shelve it, I would say start over again when you come back to it. Start from where you started, even if it means to work quickly through what ds already knows, because there is no review in EG2.

I'm looking at my EG2 textbook, and I see 5 weeks of review as follows...

Week 1 - Review of alphabet

Week 2 - Verb review (reviews 25 verbs from EG1, present tense endings, and conjugation of eimi)

Week 3 - Second declension review (reviews 26 masculine nouns from EG1, case endings, 9 neuter words, and neuter endings

Week 4 - First declension review (reviews 18 feminine nouns from EG1, case endings, and parsing)

Week 5 - Adjective / preposition review (review EG 1 adjectives and prepositions, adjective forms, and forming prepositional phrases)

My EG1 books are downstairs, but I believe that is a full review of all of the vocabulary and grammar from EG1. I'll disagree with the previous posters and say it would be possible to start with book 2. Another option might be to review EG1 material once a week maybe as part of regular memory work. Something along the lines of:

Week 1 - review verb vocab cards and conjugate 1 verb

Week 2 - review 2nd declension cards and decline 1 masculine and 1 neuter

Week 3 - review 1st declension vocab cards and decline 1 noun

Week 4 - review adjective and preposition cards and chart 1 adjective

We did this over summer break last year. It took less than 10 minutes a week and kept the information fresh. HTH