Menu

ADOS results?

Murmer

So we got the ados results for dd...and we don't understand it. First they gave her module 1 which from everything I see online is for nonverbal kids...dd is is techniqually on level both expressive and receptive language lower average end...so should she have had a different module?

Also it feels like the observer (dr who has been working with her for a year now) didn't pay attention to some of the things dd did...I almost feel like she had a preconceived notion about dd and that was she is not on the spectrum. I am willing to accept that dd is not on the spectrum but it's hard to accept 1 dr saying yes and another saying no.

Would it be in our best interest to find someone who hasn't worked with dd to give her the ados again hopefully module 2 or 3?

I don't know if you saw my post the other day, but after my DD had 3 different ADOS administrations in 8 weeks by 3 different practitioners with 3 conflicting results, I have to say that I am rather unimpressed by that particular test.

If you think the administrator went in with preconceived notions, I would definitely try to find an independent evaluator.

The developmental pediatrician noted that DD met the ADOS criteria for both language impairment and repetitive behaviors. The school psychologist noted language impairment but no repetitive behaviors. The Regional Center psychologist noted repetitive behaviors but didn't think DD's speech met ADOS criteria for language impairment. From my POV as her parent, I thought DD displayed similar levels of speech and hand-flapping/spinning/pacing in each of the 3 ADOS tests. :glare:

Thanks, I think that is the route to take...don't know where to go because I only know the hospital guess I'll be on the phone today. I just want an accurate picture of my child with no preconceived notions to know if she really could be on the spectrum or not and it's hard to feel that way with the report we just received.

Do you know if using module 1 vs. 2 would change anything?

My son was evaluated using Module 1. His eval says it is for kids with single words or pre-verbal. It was fitting for him because he primarily speaks in single word echolalia. He does not have any functional communication. I haven't seen module 2 to see how they compare.

My son also was evaluated on the GARS-2 (Gilliam Autism Rating Scale) and met the cut off for Autism on both GARS and ADOS. I liked that they used 2 different tests to confirm the diagnosis.

I have heard of some evaluators using DSM-5 already instead of DSM-4. Under the new DSM-5 many children will no longer qualify for an Autism diagnosis because they are doing away with PDD and Aspergers. If your child does not have expressive/receptive speech delay then they may be in that category.