Menu

who/which clause from IEW

CandaceC

Can anyone help me teach this to my girls? They are NOT getting how to do this at all...and I'm kind of at a loss.

They are doing really well with the keyword outline, adding in "ly" words, exchanging banned words for strong verbs, etc.

We just cannot get the who/which thing...

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Do you have the student resource notebook? If so, have you already used page 74?

If not, a who/which clause is an adjective clause. You can google adjective clause and find stuff or you can just write two sentences where one is a basic simple sentence and the other describes the subject and have your kids work on combining them. Once they grasp this you can use longer sentences with the other sentence describing different nouns/ pronouns (DO, IO, OP).

The cookies baked. The cookies were chocolate chip.

The cookies, which were chocolate chip, baked.

Write the first two sentences and then explain that we can combine these two sentences into one sentence because the second sentence merely describes a noun in the first sentence. Then write the third sentence. Model this several times and then let the child do it on his own.

You can also write a simple sentence and ask the child to list adjectives to describe a noun and then have them place those adjectives in a who/ which clause.

The cookies bake.

cookies

chocolate chip

peanut butter

oatmeal

Granny's recipe

yummy

sweet

tasty

The cookies, which are Granny's yummy, oatmeal recipe, bake.

HTH-

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN

My son was having a hard time with Who/Which too. I tried explaining that he needed to use it to combine two ideas from his KWO, but that didn't work so what I started doing was sitting down with him after he wrote the outline and we started discussing where he though one would work, and if not why not. Basically we planned it out before he started writing his paragraph/story from the KWO. -ly and strong verbs/strong adjectives he could add in on the fly when writing but that who/which clause needed more pre-planning.

Thanks, ladies!

I purchased a used copy of this set and have realized I don't have all the pages, so I bought the PDF of the student pages from iEW's site... I haven't looked through all of it yet - I will go look at p. 74! :)

I think we need more practice on this too... Just time and patience. :)

My son was having a hard time with Who/Which too. I tried explaining that he needed to use it to combine two ideas from his KWO, but that didn't work so what I started doing was sitting down with him after he wrote the outline and we started discussing where he though one would work, and if not why not. Basically we planned it out before he started writing his paragraph/story from the KWO. -ly and strong verbs/strong adjectives he could add in on the fly when writing but that who/which clause needed more pre-planning.

:iagree:This is exactly what I do. I sit down with the kids before they start writing their messy copy. I help them combine two sentences or ideas into one using a who or which clause. Then they start writing their messy copy.