Menu

ABeka Math or CLE math for 3rd Grade?

misidawnrn

We have used ABeka for grades 1 and 2 and I like it, as does DD. I like the look of CLE math also. I like that it has practice built right in the top of the page for more independent work like count by 4s from 4-40.

If anyone has used both, which do you think I should use for next year? I am in the planning process.

I also like MM and I have 2nd grade printed off for this year as a supplement but I feel like it is behind ABeka. DD is learning stuff that isn't in MM grade 2. I don't want to go backwards.

Someone posted to use both MM and CLE. That could be an option as well.

Help me plan! Thanks!!!

I would stick to what works for your child. Abeka has been around long enough to have a good track record. That said, CLE is great because of the built in review and because we prefer the lack of color. It is also very inexpensive. I have one child that would have floundered w/Abeka because of the distractability of color and is doing quite well w/CLE. My middle child could not stand Abeka because he said that the cartoons were babyish. He likes CLE and has really taken off, mathmatically. He know his facts backwards and forwards and not by rote. I credit the CLE flashcard system for this. This Math mammoth is also a very good option either as a stand alone or as a supplement.

hths some

I think Abeka it's ok IF you use the DVDs or do everything in the teacher manuals. They have a lot of oral exercises that most HomeSchoolers skip thinking they are not necessary if you homeschool. But that is the essence of a spiral math . I wanted to try it before I found out about CLE . I even had Abeka 3rd grade math, but to me CLE seemed more developmentally appropriate and also more focused on concepts . Abeka word problems seemed way too easy , while the procedural exercises were developmentally soaring . CLE is more balanced, with some challenging word problems ( some even similar to Singapotre for that grade level) but keeping the work more appropriate , although they are somehow advanced in the primary grades (k-2) .

Edited by blessedmom3