Menu

What maths for 1st

MistyMountain

I am doing kindergarten now and thinking ahead to what I will do once dd is ready for 1st grade math. I'm not sure if math will be hard or easy for her. She seems pretty average right now. She hasn't done adding on her own really early but she seems to understand everything we done so far.

I was using MCP and right now I am trying out funnix. I also talk to her about coins and with base ten numbers. I feel like MCP didn't really cover everything I thought it would and goes over other things without going into enough details.

I been hearing a lot about the math curriculum on here but I still don't know which one I think sounds like it will work for both of us. I like things that are pretty scripted. I want it to cover everything it needs to and to have a lot of practice for concepts that are hard. I don't know if spiral or mastery would work better for dd. On one hand I could see extra practice being good on another I could see it being confusing skipping around a lot.

I think I would like two programs to try but I don't want the time spent on them to be too bad. I like the sounds of CLE although I am an atheist not a Christian. Do certain math programs work better together? Do some go over certain concepts thoroughly and others offer another way of coming to answers?

DD is a audio learner. She has a harder time learning images like letters and numbers than with hearing concepts.

I don't have a lot of experience with different curricula, but I thought I would mention CSMP since not a lot of people know about it. It is a secular program and offers some alternative ways to approach math problems. I started using it because my dd needed an approach that required teacher-student interaction. She is good at math but hates worksheets and is very social. I like that it is thoroughly scripted, and I always know exactly what to say and how to approach incorrect answers. And it is free, so it's worth at least looking at.

Do a search on these - you can't go wrong with any of them!

RightStart - fully scripted, almost all manipulatives, very strong conceptually, uses games to reinforce stuff that needs to get memorized

Miquon - "discovery" math - not traditional or scripted at all, but strong conceptually

MEP (FREE!!!) - my kids call it "puzzle math" - I don't know how to describe it, but it's awesome. http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

If handwriting is strong - Math Mammoth - very similar to Singapore, but in smaller bites

I am thinking of getting right start and maybe cle to go with it but starting now instead of 1st now. I was doing mcp K but I didn't get the TG and I feel it is kind of lacking in some of the things I wanted to teach. I started doing funnix but the lessons take a little too long and right now it isn't really teaching her anything. That will probably change but I like the idea of using the manipulatives and then some worksheets too. I been doing so much switching around already so hopefully I can stick with something or else we will get nowhere.

I might be able to get money from a charter soon but we might be moving out of state and we have to give back non consumables so maybe I should just get it. I didn't get it for kindergarten at first because it is really expensive and I didn't think I would like teaching with manipulatives.

How long do Right Start lessons take? Is A the equivalent to kindergarten? Can you get away with the simpler kit?

My first grade dd is average in math ability and did not have much math in public KG. we started CLE for first grade and we absolutely love it! It amazes me how they subtly add in new concepts. I often find myself thinking what an awesome job they have done. My dd is really doing great with it. We are on light unit 7 and have covered add and sub. facts up to 11, telling time to the 5 minute, ruler 12 inches = foot, beg. Fractions, number lines, thermometer, and are just starting how many cups in a quart. We have also done 2 digit add and sub (without carrying). It is put together soooooo well that my dd never complains about it being too hard.

A few notes

We have not done the timed fact drills since book 2 because they were hurting my dd's confidence instead of boosting it.

A story problem is included every day since the beginning. It has been a great experience for her.

Each lesson is 3 pages long. Sometimes I cross things out if it is too much on a particular day.

Anyway, I HIGHLEY recommend CLE math!