Menu

feedback wanted please :)

After much research and thinking I've begun to make my own Spelling to use with my kids. I don't have the $ to put into an expensive program, but I want something open and go that teaches the rules. I have completed the first two weeks! I put them up on google docs as free pdfs if anyone is interested in checking them out. I'd really love feedback before I progress. There is a student workbook and a teacher book. It is based off a vintage, public domain Spelling book with lots of changes. Please let me know what you think!

*I posted this is on the K-8 board, but would love some feedback from people teaching the logic stage crowd. :) I plan to use this with my 6th grader through the rest of this year and into 7th grade as well. She's never been taught spelling rules. She is a good speller. After much thought I became convinced it would still be a good idea to teach her the rules for spelling. I'd love opinions on the Spelling workbook I'm creating for her to use. Do you think it will do a good job helping her to understand and memorize the rules?

It looks thorough and well thought out from what I can see. If I were using a spelling program that focused on one rule at a time, I would want to make sure there is an opportunity to regularly test words out of the context of the spelling list. Would you have that sort of review/testing built in?

It looks thorough and well thought out from what I can see. If I were using a spelling program that focused on one rule at a time, I would want to make sure there is an opportunity to regularly test words out of the context of the spelling list. Would you have that sort of review/testing built in?

Thanks for taking the time to look. :) I hadn't thought of using the words outside of the spelling list. Not sure how I would go about that? Any ideas?

I have totally changed the way the vintage book does the exercises and added lots of exercises and review for what I've completed so far. It is a four day program that repeats the same lessons day 1- day 4 again and again. Basically days 1 is a new rule with exercises to complete, day 2 is exercises for the same rule, day 3 tests words that follow the rule and recall of the rule, and day 4 is a review test that will test words from any rule learned so far, as well as any misspelled words.

In detail-

Day 1- introduce the rule, the student will copy the rule, the student will complete at least one exercise to practice using the rule

Day 2- the student will again copy the rule and complete at least one exercise to practice using the rule

Day 3- the teacher will read words to the student to spell that review the current rule, the teacher will prompt the student to correct any mistakes right away, before moving onto the next word, the student will try to remember the rule and discuss the rule out loud with the teacher, with the teacher guiding the student to recall if necessary, student will then write the rule

Day 4- the teacher will read words to the student from the previous rules plus any misspelled words from past exercises and reviews, the teacher will prompt the student to correct any mistakes right away, before moving onto the next word, the teacher can review past rules with the student orally if a student makes a mistake as they prompt them to correct a word, but students does not need to write the rule down

Edited by ThreeBlessings

Thanks for taking the time to look. :) I hadn't thought of using the words outside of the spelling list. Not sure how I would go about that? Any ideas?

I was thinking along the lines of a cumulative review where the student doesn't have the applicable spelling rule sitting in front of them.

I think your day 4 review is what I was talking about. It wasn't obvious to me that you had it, because I only looked at the full week 1 (and part of week 2), but you wouldn't have words from multiple spelling lists at that point.

I was thinking along the lines of a cumulative review where the student doesn't have the applicable spelling rule sitting in front of them.

I think your day 4 review is what I was talking about. It wasn't obvious to me that you had it, because I only looked at the full week 1 (and part of week 2), but you wouldn't have words from multiple spelling lists at that point.

Okay, thanks again for your time. :)