Menu

Hakes Grammar and Writing

Zoraida

I just received my new Rainbow Resource Catalog and was reading the review for Hake Grammar and Writing and was intrigued by the review. I also went to the Saxon website to look at samples of the books. http://www.grammar.cc/?content=products

Is anyone using this? What are your likes and dislikes? From the table of contents it looks like it has a strong writing component. Any opinions would be welcome.

Blessings

Zoraida

I looked at Hake's grammar online through the link given in the first post and will give youo my .02 I have finished R&S with my oldest son through 5th grade R&S 5. In my quick perusal of the Hake program it looked like the explanations about prepositional phrases (diagramming) was more complete in Hake. We had a bit of trouble with that in R&S and found that there was either no explanation or it was too vague. Grammar got a bit tough for us when we hit predicate nom.s and beyond in R&S - in part due to the explanations being inadequate for us to flesh it out. We eventually got through it but it was not smooth. Up to that point R&S had suited us perfectly - and my son scores 90% or better on all tests.

HTH

Babs