Menu

National Society of Collegiate Scholars?

Grace is Sufficient

Is anyone familiar with this group? If so, is it worthwhile/worth the cost?

Thanks,

Debbie

Searching the name, I found a pretty long discussion of it on College Confidential that you can read.

Looks like a significant number of the positive comments were from employees of the group.

Some of the complaints were that it didn't seem to do much other than collect the fee and make a list. Others noted that they seemed to be very persistent in pressuring students to join (more like advertising than informing of an honor). Others were curious at what seemed like a low threshold for the honor.

Not holding Phi Beta Kappa up as the epitome of what an honor society should be (because I'm not a member and can't speak about everything they do), but the contrast with the PBK website and websites of these other "honor societies" is striking. PBK has alumni groups, a speaker schedule, publications, and a lot more information about itself and its activities.

I hesitate to call something a scam. But it doesn't look like it is much more than a list you pay to join.