Menu

Temple Grandin

I'm on a New Thread roll this morning...hope it's not overkill, just have lots on my mind.

I finally saw Temple Grandin (HBO movie) last night. DD's psychologist had recommended that I see it. I was absolutely moved to tears. The way they captured her "thinking in pictures" and sensory issues and need for strong hugs and rage when she was wronged and not knowing she stinks LOL...that is my daughter. DD doesn't have the rigid speech pattern that Temple does, nor is she a genius, but so many of the other personality traits resonated with me.

I am sending copies to each of our family members. Maybe they'll finally "get it". She is different, not less.

That was a wonderful movie. I, too, have a son that has some similar traits - not as pronounced, but definitely there. It was good for him to see it and realize he is talented in a way that isn't always recognized by our traditional academic community.

I highly recommend that movie esp. to anyone who is homeschooling and who has a suspicion that there is something different with their student. I realized that my son learned differently and expressed that learning differently when he was in about 3rd/4th grade.

I hope it helps your family understand your child :grouphug:

I got it from the library and watched it, since I have purchased three of her books (so far). I loved it! It made me smile and cry several times over. After Adrian watched me reading her books he asked to watch the DVD also. So I got if from the library again and watched it with him. We then had the opportunity to talk about how we each have a unique brain. Since we are visual thinkers in our family, Adrian could relate to her "thinking in pictures". I have to buy that DVD some day soon! It is not the first time that I will say that Grandin is my hero :)!