Menu

Looking for a complete program (cross-post)

Greta

For next year, we are looking into some local charter schools, but we are also considering a program such as Calvert, where a complete curriculum is planned out and provided for you, and you can enroll so that you have some supervision and a transcript, and eventually a diploma, that sort of thing.

I think that a little outside accountability would be good for both me and my daughter. I'm afraid that I'm not consistent and disciplined enough, and I worry that we aren't covering all the bases. I have a hodgepodge curriculum, combined with a "what do we feel like doing this week" approach that has been fine for elementary, but I feel is not serving us well any more. So I want an academically sound, comprehensive, really solid program.

I really love the look of Calvert, but I'm not sure there's much point in starting it at the 7th grade level, when it only goes through 8th.

I'm also checking into Oak Meadow. I hear a lot that it's a very gentle program, and that's not necessarily what I'm looking for. But people have said this with regard to the elementary levels, and I'm wondering if that's also true of the higher levels.

I've looked at Seton and Kolbe but, while I know Saxon math works great for a lot of families, it was a no go here. DD and I both dislike it, and both of these programs use it.

I'd like to know what you think of these programs, and also what else is out there that I haven't considered. Either secular or Christian is fine, but if Christian, I would prefer either Catholic or something toward the "high church" end of the Protestant spectrum as I think this would fit our Orthodox beliefs more closely.

Thanks for any help or recommendations!

FWIW, if you really liked Seton except for the math - they WILL allow you to sub something else for the math in. You won't get lesson plans for math, but you can use whatever program you like instead of Saxon. I think they may have plans for teaching textbooks, but I'm not 100% sure.

Call their 800 number - they can give you exact info on it.

FWIW, if you really liked Seton except for the math - they WILL allow you to sub something else for the math in. You won't get lesson plans for math, but you can use whatever program you like instead of Saxon. I think they may have plans for teaching textbooks, but I'm not 100% sure.

Call their 800 number - they can give you exact info on it.

Thank you, this is good to know! I really did like the look of it other than that, so I will look at it in more detail, and ask them about this. I don't know anything about Teaching Textbooks, but I'll check it out. Again, thanks!

Calvert seems to get better and better as they go up in grade levels. We are using it for 3rd and will be for 4th. I plan on looking at the Virtual academy when ds hits 6th. Call the educational counselors if you have questions. They are so helpful.

Thanks! I have heard really great things about Calvert. I wish they went all the way through high school!