Menu

? re: Sonlight Eastern Hemisphere Explorer

Kelly in IL

I have a question for those of you who have used the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer in the past few years. I used it 7 years ago with my dd and to be honest it was really hard to use, unclear and generally frustrating.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if they have updated this at all in the past 7 years and made it more user friendly. Any input would be appreciated!

TIA

Kelly

I have a question for those of you who have used the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer in the past few years. I used it 7 years ago with my dd and to be honest it was really hard to use, unclear and generally frustrating.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if they have updated this at all in the past 7 years and made it more user friendly. Any input would be appreciated!

TIA

Kelly

We're using it this year. I have the 2011 version. It is my understanding that it was majorly revamped a few years ago. I haven't seen the old version, so I have no idea if it's more clear or less frustrating. From what I have read on the SL forums those who use it with older children seem to do fine and those who use it with younger children talk of being more frustrated. I am doing it with two fifth graders, one is dyslexic, so we "cheat". I use the answer sheet and we discuss the questions and the kids write down the answer. So I guess for me, I don't allow it to be frustrating. I use it how I want. :D

I used the 2005 version and the 2011 version of EHE. The older version was pretty much look for the answers in the World Book Encyclopedia. Lots of fill in the blank. The new version is more research oriented, searching the internet for the answers. The pages are more notebooking style. I used the older version with a 7th grader and the newer version with a 9th grader. My 9th grader is being challenged with the EHE but I expect him to do this on his own as well as answer it all (not use the answer key). I would definitely see this as being frustrating for a normal level child under 8th grade unless the parent is going to help or supply the answers or eliminate most of it.

One thing that is still frustrating in the new version (which is prettier) is that the answers aren't always in WB, but you never know if they will be or not. So you might search several articles and not find what you are looking for, only to learn later that the info isn't there. Other times it's there but you only find it if you search the right way. It can be very time consuming--I'd definitely put a time limit on it and not worry about finishing it all if you use it.