Menu

Retaining math concepts

My ds15 appears to be doing well in his math courses. He's about 80% of the way through Algebra 2, using a Keystone High School course with a Holt textbook. The problem is that the class does not have any review. There was a midterm and there is a final, but the final is not cumulative. He seemed to do quite well in Algebra 1 and Geometry but honestly, it didn't occur to me to test him before moving him into the next course. How is this usually done? Do you just wait until he seems to have a problem understanding a concept and then realize he might not have retained something from the previous level?

I think I'll have him retake the midterm that covered the first half of the class, but what if he doesn't pass? What if it shows he didn't retain the concepts? Do we back up and begin again? He does often get frustrated at how much he is required to remember. Are we looking for 100% mastery, which does seem important in math? Of course, he might move into preCalc and sail through like he's done in his other levels. It doesn't seem like a good idea though.