Menu

Story Grammar, Grammar for Middle School, Sentence Composing ?s

ThreeBlessings

I've been using Sentence Composing for Elementary with my 4th and 6th graders this year. I'm looking ahead to next year and considering which book(s) to get. I have a few questions. :) Is it essential to use the Story Grammar before the Middle School Grammar? Is it good to use the Sentence Composing book and the one of the Grammar books at the same time or are they redundant? TIA!

No, SG and G4MS actually have very similar types of exercises. The main difference is the sources of the model sentences. SG draws mostly from fairy tales and books aimed at a late elementary audience. G4MS draws from books aimed at a more mature audience, including Stephen King and Michael Crichton. While the model sentences themselves are innocuous, I required my DD to ask me before borrowing any book mentioned in G4MS from the library. I didn't feel the need to do that with SG.

No, SG and G4MS actually have very similar types of exercises. The main difference is the sources of the model sentences. SG draws mostly from fairy tales and books aimed at a late elementary audience. G4MS draws from books aimed at a more mature audience, including Stephen King and Michael Crichton. While the model sentences themselves are innocuous, I required my DD to ask me before borrowing any book mentioned in G4MS from the library. I didn't feel the need to do that with SG.

And how about Sentence Composing? That looks very similar as well.