Menu

Legends & Leagues from VP?

LlamaMama

The book is dull, but okay. The maps in the background of all the pictures are interesting, and while the story is hardly entertaining, it's not bad as an introduction to various sorts of maps.

The workbook is visually cluttered and uninspiring. While I think the book is "pretty good", I can't recommend the workbook at all.

I far preferred the Evan-Moor "Beginning Geography" titles that VP used to recommend. One could use the L&L picture book along with them instead of the L&L workbook.

I haven't seen the workbook, but as for the book itself, I agree w/ Abbey-- it's dull! I'd even go far as to call it downright boring. My boys don't like it one bit; in fact, the last time I pulled it out for a re-read, they groaned. My opinion-- don't waste your money! There are plenty of other worthwhile products out there. We've enjoyed the MCP Maps, Charts, Graphs series as one other option for you.

Thanks, ladies. I'll forgo from purchasing L & L. I did see the "Beginning Geography" titles in the VP catalog. I'll buy those tomorrow at my local convention. I'm sure either Area 127 or Rainbow Resources will be carrying that. I would love to support VP and purchase directly from them but they are not attending the convention and I want to avoid paying shipping charges.

My plan is to do a bit of geography once a week with my K/1st grader. I found the "Children Just Like Me" book at a used store, so we'll probably read a section of that at a time.

Abbey, once you make your plans for your geography unit, please post it for the rest of us. I'm sure most of the selections will be too advanced for my oldest, but possibly some of them might fit. My plan is to do Geography Light in 2008-2009 and then start with the regular SOTW cycle the following year.