Menu

S/O Singapore Chemical Matters

I'd like good advice about what to do in the Singapore Chemical Matters test if you have used it.

Erica I know you have used Bio Matters, but in a couple of posts you say you aren't sure what to do about Chem Matters. Did you end up doing the text and if so what did you do?

I am thinking about a kit approach and would like something already simple and safe that I could integrate with the Chem Matters text.

I'd like good advice about what to do in the Singapore Chemical Matters test if you have used it.

Erica I know you have used Bio Matters, but in a couple of posts you say you aren't sure what to do about Chem Matters. Did you end up doing the text and if so what did you do?

I am thinking about a kit approach and would like something already simple and safe that I could integrate with the Chem Matters text.

I do have the text, and I think it's excellent, but the labs really aren't appropriate for home use. My plan was to use the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments (safe, but not simple)... but I think DS is going to stick with Ecology and Electronics (and Physics with the Electronics) this year and next and go to a private high school... so I won't be doing chemistry at home.

I have the text and plan on doing it next year. I think the workbook that goes with it is good. The practical book (lab book) can't be done at home, unless maybe you can get your hands on a teacher's edition.

I don't think the practical book should even be sold as is. It is recommended that it is not for home, but since I teach the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry to a number of students I thought I might be able to do some of it. The setup of the labs looks great, but most of the time it will say something like used unknown A and test with mixture B...

Nowhere in the student lab does it tell what the unknowns are and the teacher edition is not sold in the USA. I've emailed the singapore publishers and they won't sell it to me since I don't teach in the country of Singapore.