Menu

Voice Output Devices

AmyinMD

My 4 year old son with Autism is functionally nonverbal. His school yesterday tried him out with a 'Big Mac' Voice Output Device and they told me he was able to use it appropriately. He was able to press the button for it to say "I want cracker" at snack time. They said he hit it at the appropriate times and not just to hear the voice. They had been resistant to trying such a device because they thought he would not be able to use it.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these types of devices? It will be two weeks before ds's IEP meeting. We should be able to request for ds to have a Big Mac for home use at the meeting so I'm trying to research as much as I can before hand. I'm hoping they will offer us some training on how to use it or I'm not sure we'll get the maximum benefit out of it.

My son is able to speak a very limited amount but has no functional communication. He mostly speaks in single word echolalia but does occasionally say single words spontaneously. He can sometimes do two words together with maximum prompting. I'm hoping maybe he will eventually be able to repeat what the voice output device says. I'm a little worried though that it may make ds try to talk less if he knows he can have the machine do it for him.

Does he use PECS for communication?

The only problem I can see with the Big Mac is that it is limiting on how many words a kid can say at a time compared to something like a dynavox.

One of my concerns is that the school will probably ask for you to use your insurance to purchase any type of voice output device and most insurance companies only approve one every five years. You don't want to waste it on a Big Mac.

At your next meeting, I would suggest that you push hard for a formal assessment to be done on what type of device is best suited to your child. These are done by various private companies along with places like Easter Seals or United Cerebral Palsy. There is usually a long wait, but their recommendations will be necessary if your insurance pays for it. They will also be helpful for your IEP.

If he has any type of spontaneous communication (and it sounds like he does), I would push for that to be continued. You need this to be a dual approach to give him communication now (pecs or voice output) along with exploring his ability for vocalizations. (Something like ABLLS would be very helpful along with -if you can get it- someone who is a certified BCBA).

Echolalia is great because it shows that the words are there. :) There is no problem with his ability to speak (physically) just the ability to process thoughts to words and perhaps even the desire to speak.

Good luck with everything. :)