Menu

Are FLL/WWE "enough"?

PentecostalMom

My dh is asking me to convince him. Normally, he leaves the curriculum choosing to me, but we discuss what I chose and why before we purchase. We have been using FLL/WWE 1 for dd in 1st this year. She is a young 1st, she would be in K by ps standards. Dh knows little about these two programs, and my experience is limited as well.

We used Abeka, Easy Grammar, and Daily Grams with older ds, and he did great.

Can anyone that has been using FLL/WWE tell me your opinions? If you have been using it for a few years, how has it panned out? If you switched, why? Thoughts, opinons, and advice are welcome.

BTW, there is no particular reason that we are looking to switch, dh just wants more information before we purchase again for 2nd grade.

I think it's enough.

I have 2 dc using FLL and WWE. I've seen progress as we go up in grade levels and have purchased for next year for both my dc. I fully intend on using them with ds when he enters the right grade level.

When my dd8.5 first began FLL she didn't know the definitions of nouns, verbs, pronouns, contractions, adjective, types of sentences, and several other things you would think is pretty basic! She was 7 when we started her on FLL as it took us until this to even FIND it! She is now doing FLL 3 and can diagram a sentence, knows the difference between nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives, and can tell the types of sentence she's reading. She's come a LONG way! We do all the chants for memorizes the helping verbs, and prepositions. It seems to come more natural to her because the way that FLL teaches your child. I just love it and the kids do too! The poems were memorized because of the fun chanting we did and repeating it. Now my dd6.5 is doing FLL 2 as she sat in with her sister for FLL 1 last year. She's doing so well and knows the definitions of the basics witout any struggles. I don't know how to sell this program to someone. I guess for me it was just peeking at the book and knowing right away that it's a fit. I need to be told what to say and what to do. This keeps me motivated, focused, and gives me the self esteem I need to know I'm doing their school "right".

My dd8.5 is doing WWE 2 right now. She did WWE 1 last year as that's when we found it as well and it's been such a blessing! She really struggles with dictation. WWE 2 is progressing just the right pace for her to do the dictation excersizes. PLUS I love how they work TOGETHER (FLL and WWE that is)! It's so neat to have material that backs each other up! My dd6.5 just started this year doing WWE 1 and will move into WWE 2 next year. I'm seeing a HUGe improvement with her writing and she gets the answers to the questions right almost every time! She does a great job at narrating and I see this benefiting her to continue building those blocks for her. I will have ds when he enters 1st grade doing WWE 1 because I think that's almost the perfect grade level to start building those blocks!

I have taken my oldest from FLL1/WWE1 to halfway through the fourth books now. I would say for a lot of kids it is enough. Book 1 is very very gentle. By book 4 they are hitting the grammar pretty solidly. I did supplement DS in about 2nd grade with some daily practice to solidify. He just needed more practice at that stage.

I also do require some more writing of him than WWE demands, but he is also a charter school student and does test yearly. He is also a reluctant writer, and I require a little bit of writing every single day from him above narration to make it a habit and fluent. I didn't start this part until 3rd grade though.

With about 90% FLL/WWE over the last 4 years, he tests high in langauge arts and is doing fine.

Honestly, we also use CLE Language Arts in addition to First Language Lessons (FLL) and Writing With Ease (WWE). However, I am pretty obsessed with grammar and writing.

Same here! For my kids, FLL and WWE are very oral and helps them focus listening skills. CLE is our constant review, tiny little chunks, helps me clearly see the gaps - curriculum. The combo is like a well rounded, mastery, spiral program for all learning styles!