Menu

Has anyone used the Science self teaching guides in the WTM?

It looked really good.

Since my high school DD's joined an accredited charter, I was reluctant to try to get it approved because all of the extra work involved in the approval process. If it weren't for that I would have given it a go and thought if I ever had time, it would be a great refresher course.

It looked great for the independent student because they could tailor it to fit their needs. I think the student would get out of it what they put into it.

I tried the Self-Teaching Biology guide, but I didn't find it self-teaching for my son. He would read a chapter, and then I would have to reread it to him and explain it to him. I switched two more times before landing with Apologia's Biology book. The main problem was that my ds was not well versed with the biology terminology. IT was like learning a new language. I also found that the self-teaching guide didn't explain processes in terms that my ds could understand. I did my best to explain osmosis to him, but the Apologia book did a much better job. I think if a student is very self-motivated then he might do well with this book. I loaned the same Self-Teaching Biology book to a friend of mine, and her dd used that book the entire year. I think her father helped her at night. I don't think they supplemented the course either. She is now a National Merit finalist, so I guess the book didn't hurt her.

Blessings,

Jan P.

• 1 year later...
I tried the Self-Teaching Biology guide, but I didn't find it self-teaching for my son. He would read a chapter, and then I would have to reread it to him and explain it to him. I switched two more times before landing with Apologia's Biology book. The main problem was that my ds was not well versed with the biology terminology. IT was like learning a new language. I also found that the self-teaching guide didn't explain processes in terms that my ds could understand. I did my best to explain osmosis to him, but the Apologia book did a much better job. I think if a student is very self-motivated then he might do well with this book. I loaned the same Self-Teaching Biology book to a friend of mine, and her dd used that book the entire year. I think her father helped her at night. I don't think they supplemented the course either. She is now a National Merit finalist, so I guess the book didn't hurt her.

Blessings,

Jan P.

my DD is not a math/science person. We tried apologia for physical scence and did not get very far. It just did not keep her attention enough for the concepts to sink in.

Do you think the apologia bio was easier than the self teaching book by Garber?

Anyone else use the Garber book?