Menu

Fun math resources for advanced 6 yo?

Guest juliford

Guest juliford

Hi everyone,

We were homeschoolers for the past three years and now my children are in public school (3rd grade and 1st grade).

They both love school, I am reasonable happy with how things are going and we supplement history with SOTW at home.

My son is 6 and is in first grade. He is just learning to read but his math skills are way ahead of what they are teaching in his class. I want to continue to engage his natural love and talent for math but after 6 hours a day at school, he just is too tired to do much focused study with me when he gets home (we did Saxon in homeschool and it worked really well in that circumstance).

I am looking for "fun" math resources we can do together at home that he might really enjoy and that will help him continue learning at his own pace.

Anyone have any ideas? I know I may just need to get creative and perhaps skip the worksheets and create some activities for us but I thought I would throw this out there.

Thanks!!

Juli

livingmath.net has a delightful list of math literature books to read. There are also lesson plans available but you can skip these if you don't have the time and just check out books based on the booklist. My son and I used to cuddle up on the couch and read these with a small dry erase board and marker on hand for us to discuss the concepts.

We like the logic/ problem solving list. My son still adores the Penrose the Cat books and The Number Devil.

The site also has a list on games.