Menu

FLL Question

Tigger

This year (second grade) we've been using GWG 1 as DS's introduction to grammar and it's been going well. I didn't want to start grammar until his reading was more fluent and stronger.

I'm looking at our options for next year and am thinking about switching over to FLL since I have all the books already, but am not sure where I should start since FLL 1 seems too easy. Can I skip up to FLL 3 and start him there for third grade, or will he miss something important in FLL 1 or FLL 2?

Thanks!

FLL 3 will assume that your child knows or has memorized noun, pronoun, adjective, action verb, linking verb, helping verbs, prepositions, article, conjunction, interjection, question, statement, exclamation, contraction, direct quotation, indented paragraph. Or, at least the child has had them before and can easily pick them up.

FLL 3 also begins diagramming sentences.

If your child picks things up quickly it should not be a problem, but you may need to slow down in order for him to work on memorizing some of the list. There is also poem memorization in FLL 1, 2, and 3.

I think FLL2 is a great place to start (I've learned a few things from it!), but I haven't seen FLL3.

I'm thinking FLL 2 is probably where we need to start - FLL 1 looks very repetitious and we're already covering basics with GWG 1....and FLL 3 looks like it's a bit more than he'll be ready for, so maybe I'll just pace through and if we get to and through 3, great, if not we just keep moving forward the next year.

I agree, you should start with First Language Lessons 2. It pairs perfectly with Writing With Ease 2 if you are thinking using it for writing (which I HIGHLY recommend).

Great to know! Yes, we're currently about 80% of the way through WWE1, so I have and plan to use WWE2 next year, so maybe if we continue to pace as we are and are done early with WWE1, I'll just start WWE2 and FLL2 and then just continue on with both. We school through summer, so we'll take a break for about a month before starting again July 1, so I'll just see where we are and continue along!