Menu

Phonics Road question

What kind of words are kids reading by the end of Phonics Road 2? If price is an issue, can you go through PR 2 and then just use WRTR or Wise Guide?

Not trying to be cheap really. I love the idea of PR...just am not sure I could swing it for all 4 years with all of the children I would need to buy student sets for.

What grade level are they reading at after level 2?

Kim

ALSO...how is grammar taught etc..is it "easy" to understand as grammar/composition is my WEAKNESS!

Edited by Blessed with seven

What kind of words are kids reading by the end of Phonics Road 2? If price is an issue, can you go through PR 2 and then just use WRTR or Wise Guide?

Not trying to be cheap really. I love the idea of PR...just am not sure I could swing it for all 4 years with all of the children I would need to buy student sets for.

What grade level are they reading at after level 2?

Kim

ALSO...how is grammar taught etc..is it "easy" to understand as grammar/composition is my WEAKNESS!

You really need to go through Level 1. You can use PR less expensively by having students write their answers on lined paper or by using sheet protectors and wet erase markers with the PR student sheets. Level 1 comes with a clipboard, plastic sheet, and wet erase marker.

Grammar and composition so far have been pretty straightforward. I've been all the way through levels 1 and 2 and have a dd in level 3 now.

Here are some words from the end of level 2:

entrance

troubling

vacation

fortunate

prison

department

guess

though

amount

obtain

:bigear: I would like to know as well! Are kids reading Little House by themselves in PR 2?

Yes. Probably earlier than that. My level 2 dd (7yo) made mistakes at the beginning of level 2 with Little House, but now she stumbles only rarely. I'm very happy with her reading ability and improvement since starting Phonics Road. She is a bright kid and usually picks things up quickly after minimal instruction. My 9yo is the opposite. She is a "slow and steady" type of kid and her language arts skills have improved tremendously with Phonics Road. I accelerated her through levels 1 and 2 last year. She is in level 3 now.

You really need to go through Level 1. You can use PR less expensively by having students write their answers on lined paper or by using sheet protectors and wet erase markers with the PR student sheets. Level 1 comes with a clipboard, plastic sheet, and wet erase marker.

Grammar and composition so far have been pretty straightforward. I've been all the way through levels 1 and 2 and have a dd in level 3 now.

Here are some words from the end of level 2:

entrance

troubling

vacation

fortunate

prison

department

guess

though

amount

obtain

Yes. Probably earlier than that. My level 2 dd (7yo) made mistakes at the beginning of level 2 with Little House, but now she stumbles only rarely. I'm very happy with her reading ability and improvement since starting Phonics Road. She is a bright kid and usually picks things up quickly after minimal instruction. My 9yo is the opposite. She is a "slow and steady" type of kid and her language arts skills have improved tremendously with Phonics Road. I accelerated her through levels 1 and 2 last year. She is in level 3 now.

:iagree: You can easily used lined paper for the student pages.

We are on week 9 of PR2 and my son can read Little House with only a little help here and there. When we started PR1 last year he was reading the first one or two Bob Books only. We also use OPGR.

Okay...so...how young would you all start PR?

Just wondering how it compares to WRTR and SWR....both of which I have and want to use but my mind, at this time in my life, needs pretty simple.

The earliest I've started is with an older 4yo. She begged to. We've moved slowly and are picking up the pace now that she is 5. Depending on the child, 4-6 years old is when I would start.

I have a related question. I use PR L2 with my dd (she's 7) and it's going great, I love the program. At some point when my son is ready, i want to start him with PR 1. Do any of you use 2 different levels of PR at the same time with 2 kids (like L3 for 1 child and L1 for another)? How do you manage it? I don't mind that the program is teacher intensive, I'm just wondering how to best manage my time when I have to teach 2 levels.

I have a related question. I use PR L2 with my dd (she's 7) and it's going great, I love the program. At some point when my son is ready, i want to start him with PR 1. Do any of you use 2 different levels of PR at the same time with 2 kids (like L3 for 1 child and L1 for another)? How do you manage it? I don't mind that the program is teacher intensive, I'm just wondering how to best manage my time when I have to teach 2 levels.

I have three kids each in a different level of PR. Once I've watched all the DVDs of a level, I haven't rewatched them. The second time through a level is easier. I'm still watching DVDs for level 3. The total time spent on LA for each kid is less than when I had separate programs for each component. PR is a time saver for me.