Menu

Those who run with your dogs

At what temperature/heat index do you leave your dog at home? Koty loves going with me, behaves better after his run and really looks sad when I leave him home. Now that it's hot though, I wonder how much longer he can go with me. Our heat came all the sudden so there is no easing into it.

Today and one day last week I noticed that it was already upper 70's before 8 am! That's hot to me and I don't have a fur coat. He's a short hair dog so it's not like I can go get him cut. And he's black which attracts heat. This morning I noticed his wide tongue.

I run through a park that has a water fountain at dog level. In the past I've stopped and filled it up for him but he won't drink it. His bowls at home are the same shiny stainless that this fountain is. I don't want him to get overheated and sick.

For anyone who read my post last week about the dog who suddenly wasn't going outside to use the bathroom, this is a different dog. This one will be 2 in September.

Thanks!

I hear you about the heat (Hi neighbor! we are in clayton, nc) I think part of it depends on the breed of dog. We have a pug and he does not do well in the heat. I would call your vet and ask.

Well, the only good thing about this heat is that I don't want to go anywhere so I am saving gas! :tongue_smilie:

Terri

I agree with checking with your vet...or maybe Soph the Vet will see this.

We live in a VERY different climate (dry and high) and so the heat is less of an issue. Also, we are trail runners, so much of our runs are in shade and there is a creek that runs the length of the trails so our dog can find it at any point. The wide tongue might be a clue that you have hit that "too-hot" point...if it gets wider and longer, I would def. stop until you get the for sure recommendation from your vet. (Although I know how sad that would be not to be able to run with them....it's their favorite thing in the world!)

She has low tolerance for heat (and long, thick hair) so on those warmer days we usually limit our running to early mornings or late evenings and if it's warm at those times we shorten the run for her. We do not live in a dry, hot climate and very hot days are limited to short periods of time through out the summer.

Mine sits her butt up against the door, so I know what you mean when you say the dog is sad when when you leave her.

I also have a portable (cloth like) water dish that I can easily carry with a bottle of water, if necessary. That is rarely necessary here. One other thing I sometimes do is soak her down with water before we start (she hates, hates, hates that!)

I saw a Berner out this morning and felt so sorry for the dog. She looked ok, but all that hair! I don't remember right now if they were running or walking.

Our berner is the only dog we've ever had that prefers to sleep directly on the floor (not carpeted), in the basement, on her back (I'm guessing to expose her belly and be cooler). And while our other dogs seek out sunshine (in the cooler months) in the house to 'sunbath' in, the berners avoid it. It's quite interesting.

Our berner has very thick, velvety hair.