Menu

Algebra

Guest mamasue

I can only comment on MR since I have only seen TT.

MR is working well for us. Mr. Firebaugh has excellent, clear explanations that make sense to us. He speaks clearly and not too quickly, so we usually get what he's saying without having to replay. He is a very thorough teacher, but not firey or exciting. Though I would not call TT firey or exciting either.

We are on lesson 76 of Algebra 1 after only beginning it in January. Plus we had a death in the family and missed a couple of weeks. Just getting this far with this particular child in such a short period of time is a praise for this program.

Some teachers on DVD programs work out easy problems on the screen, then give more difficult problems in the lessons. This was frustrating for both my son and me last year. We still have some times of frustration, but it is not because of the program, but our math weaknesses. Still, we are both learning, and with fewer days of frustration. (Ds and I are learning math together.)

The answer keys have everything worked out which is quite helpful to us. Also, I've called Mr. Firebaugh a couple of times, and he was both helpful and friendly.

HTH

Thank You!

Lisa - I will definitely re-post as soon as I finish this response. This is the first time I have ever posted on any chat board for any reason! So I am really unsure if I am posting properly, even now!

Mamasue - Thank you for your thorough description of MR. I have been so torn with all the math choices. When I finally decided on TT, I received an e-mail containing a great review for MR, checked out their web site, and was undecided again! But I like that you said Mr. Firebaugh is clear and thorough. Like you, I will either have to re-learn algebra, or hope that my husband's schedule eases up so he can field questions - but it almost sounds like MR has flowed without too much need for extra help - and that would be great for us. Also, I like that you said the answer keys have everything worked out - do you mean step by step for each problem?

Again, thank you both so much for helping me out! I really appreciate it!