Menu

Delayed Reading Questions.

Erica in PA

My 9 year old dd has just recently caught on to reading. I tried Phonics Pathways and then First Reader with her up to second grade, along with various easy readers, but really didn't make much progress. I used Reading Reflex with her last year, and now things seem to be clicking. A few months ago she read Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary, and she was very excited to have read a chapter book! My question is, what should we be using now for reading instruction? I would like to do some intensive work with her to help bring her up to grade level. I would say right now she is at about a late second/early third grade level. But I don't know what to use. I would like to use SRA's Multiple Skills series, which is what we use at the tutoring place where I work, but it costs hundreds of dollars and isn't really practical for homeschoolers. That program has small graded books that build incrementally, on skills like getting the main idea, finding details, sequencing, etc. It takes the student from knowing how to sound out words, to learning how to really read for learning. Does anyone know of a similar program that is more affordable for homeschoolers? Or any other suggestions?

According to Scholastic book wizard, Ramona the Pest is a 4.1 level. (I know sometimes these levels are a little different depending on what you use, but when you mentioned she read that book a few months ago, I was thinking that sounds pretty great that she was able to read that. Do you do any advanced phonics programs like AAS? I do a lot of reading outloud with my 8 year old to keep her moving along (she reads one page, I read one page). That way I know what she is reading and can ask her comprehension questions. Hope this helps, I am quite new to this homeshool world.