Menu

Is there a PC way to say this?

I guess I have to disagree with your definition of sacred cow. It isn't something that is venerated. A "sacred cow" is something that is beyond criticism, often held to be beyond criticism to an unreasonable extent. Being beyond criticism is not the same as veneration. I don't think the definition I gave implies any criticism of those who venerate cows as part of their religion nor is it mocking their beliefs. It is saying that an idea or person is beyond question or touch as is a truly sacred cow.

Yes, exactly.

Not being very familiar with Hindu culture, I cannot say whether the origin of this phrase is based in accuracy. The idea, however, is that the literal sacred cow is allowed to run rampant over the countryside. No one may touch it or push it out of the way or, most importantly, criticize or punish it when it destroys property and causes inconvenience to others. The cow itself is beyond reproach.

When we call an idea a sacred cow, we are comparing the idea itself to a literal sacred cow. That idea or story or belief is allowed to run rampant over the landscape of everything else. No matter how inconvenient or damaging or in the wrong that idea may become, it is allowed to continue unchecked. A figurative sacred cow is allowed to roam unchallenged.

It's a very apt and colorful metaphor, in my view.

I don't think Cosmos was referring to or trying to reflect on the Hindu belief in the sacredness of cows in the part you bolded.

Certainly not. Just noting that a cow, sacred or otherwise, can trample a garden, you know? :lol:

Of course people might be offended if you call them on their sacred cows. That doesn't make the term inherently offensive, though.

Gosh, if people find "sacred cow" offensive... wish people wouldn't say "oh my god" either... just sayin' (or any other words that I find offensive... )

See, in Mexico this is in no way offensive. Poor ds didn't know what to say when he said OMG one day at a Chess club in the US, and another kid screamed, "Don't say that!"

He felt so bad when I explained it to him. :lol:

Daielle

For others who don't understand how this could be considered offensive, and are interested in learning, this is a decent explanation:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-sacred-cow.htm

Thanks you for posting this. I knew about the sacred cow in Hinduism, but had not heard the saying in Ca. So now I know.

May I ask a somewhat dumb question? What about "Holy Cow"? I believe I heard that a lot growing up. Although I am not sure if it is still in use. Can I assume, although I think it is more a statement of surprise, that this is offensive as well?

Luckily, I am not a big fan of slang.

Danielle

Thanks you for posting this. I knew about the sacred cow in Hinduism, but had not heard the saying in Ca. So now I know.

May I ask a somewhat dumb question? What about "Holy Cow"? I believe I heard that a lot growing up. Although I am not sure if it is still in use. Can I assume, although I think it is more a statement of surprise, that this is offensive as well?

I think it's an interesting question, but that "Holy cow!" is probably a lot less likely to offend due to the fact that it's simply an interjection, rather than a parallel based on ridicule. (Note that I really don't know how likely either is to offend someone, but just wanted to explain why it could happen.)