Menu

How detailed is the solution manual for Foerster's Algebra?

I need to decide now between Foerster and Lial's as we are ready to start algebra next week.

I own:

Foerster: Student book and Teacher's edition which has all the answers but no written out solutions which I may not need.

Lial's: Student book, Annotated Instructor's Edition, DVTs, Printed test bank (very helpful when they bomb a test), and the student solutions manual.

I have been making a list of pros and cons with each program. I am wondering if I do go with Foerster's should I get the solutions manual or doesn't it really add much to what I already have in the TM? In that case I may invest in Math Without Borders.

For those who have used Foerster's Algebra did you find you need more practice for the one test available? Did you quiz? Did you add any cumulative review or is it built into the exercises?

Any input on either of these programs is more than welcome.

We used Foerster's. I had the Solutions Manual, but did not use it often. However, I have a degree in math and ds is math-oriented. That said, I prefer to have the solutions manual to working the problems out myself when needed. It's a time saver. Every single problem is working out completely.

Following 8FillTheHeart's advice, ds did all the even or odd for each section and ALL the word problems. He did not need additional quizzes or tests.

If you follow the instructions in the TM, you will have built-in review because it tells you which problems to complete from the current section and which problems to complete from the previous sections. I did not follow the instructions in the book, I followed 8's advice.

I loved Foerster's but Lial's is highly respected as well. You can't go wrong with either, imo.

Thanks Sue.

I know many people say that Lial's and Foerster cover the same material, but I noticed that Foerster has an entire chapter on scatter plots and probability which I see only mentioned in Lial's. It is not a big deal to me, but I am trying to keep in line with what the local school covers and I know I have seen both items on the NYS Algebra regents exam. I think that even if I go with Lial, I will cover this chapter out of Foerster.

I also noticed that the tests in Foerster are not only computations but also definitions and state the difference between type questions. I like that it forces the student to learn what the mathematical terms mean, but I know for my memorization-challenged student this will be a problem.

I need to decide.